Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Last 5 Quilts Ever... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/last-5-quilts-ever-t262604.html)

jzaaboo 03-14-2015 07:53 AM

Last 5 Quilts Ever...

I was working on some blocks that my grandmother made when she was pregnant with my oldest aunt. It made me think-what if my next 5 quilts were my last 5 quilts? Would they be the same ones I'm working on or thinking about making now? Because if they aren't, why not? Am I saving fabric because it's too cute to cut up? Am I making so many obligatory quilts that I'm not making the ones I want to make? Am I waiting to get better to tackle that tough one, or until I have more time? I'm fairly young, but you never know when the beer truck will run over you. Everyone's answer will be different, and I'm sure there will be some contrary replies; but for me, I think I am going to try to work on the quilts patterns I love the most, with the fabrics I love the most, for the people I love the most whenever possible.

Cybrarian 03-14-2015 08:25 AM

Wow, very thought provoking--ssoooo, I thought about it, and was relieved I wouldn't change what I'm doing. I don't have a huge stash-I periodically go through and any "loved it when I bought it-not so much now" I pass on to 2 missionary friends who work with Syrian refugees & incarcerated women in the Middle East. They make up hand sewing kits for cottage (or in this case tent) industries. My list of projects I have kitted for myself are for my loved ones including my husband and me :-) the one I'm really looking forward to is dividing a scrap quilt top that my Mom found after my grandmother passed. My sister and I are going to make it into small wall hangings with my grandmother & Mom's pictures and family information for all the grandkids. We spend time sewing together on our summer breaks from teaching--definitely need to move that up to this summer without fail! Thanks for the push to self examine!

Boston1954 03-14-2015 08:34 AM

I told myself two years ago, that what I finish is fine, and what I leave behind will be finished one day by someone else. I don't stress anymore about UFO's. What I am working on right now is my big love. Good for you. There are so many times that we have to do certain things, when we quilt, it should be what we feel like doing.

Onebyone 03-14-2015 08:43 AM

Your post is very eye opening. Two year ago I stopped all quilt making obligations. I don't care if cousin's DH's nephew wants a tee shirt quilt, I don't want to make one.

RedGarnet222 03-14-2015 08:51 AM

What a great thread. I am not so sure I could answer this question properly. You see I do charity quilts and personal quilts during the year. I think the hardest part of family quilts is getting the colors and style right for that person's taste and not my own.

All that being said, you are so lucky to have your grandmother's work to finish. I was far too young when my grandmother died to be so lucky.

KSellers 03-14-2015 08:58 AM

Thanks for the reminder...I find myself making quilts for new babies in the family and others that people have asked me
to do. I've decided I'm going to be more careful about accepting others request, so that I can catch up on the ones I really want to do. But I have 4 in line to be done before I get there! :((

Kitsie 03-14-2015 08:59 AM

So very true and that's the reason I decided just this week to finish my Jane Stickle. It's my labor of love and its time to display it for myself.

Thank you for this great post. May I share it with other quiting friends?

DebraK 03-14-2015 09:10 AM

oh Kitsie, I've been waiting forever for your reveal ;-) It's been fun watching the progress. Glad I haven't missed it!

DebraK 03-14-2015 09:26 AM

No such thing as an obligatory quilt in my book.

quiltsRfun 03-14-2015 09:27 AM

That sounds like a good plan, jzaaboo. I recently realized I've been so busy making quilts for everyone else that the ones for me have been put on permanent hold. Decided to change that and have finished two tops that are ready for quilting and have two more ready to be picked up from my LAQ. I've decided to balance things by working on one for myself along with each one I make for someone else.