Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Last year I spent $$$ on quilting stuff (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/last-year-i-spent-%24%24%24-quilting-stuff-t108584.html)

quiltmaker 03-19-2011 03:40 AM

There is no way I'd add up all I spent in a year....probably would have a heart attack!

JuneD 03-19-2011 03:52 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess
Is that ALL you spent? See, there's a reason I don't add everything up.

I'm with PaperPrincess....is that all????? :oops: I KNOW my DH hasn't a clue what I spend on quilting. I cut out JoAnn coupons, and he sees me to do that, so I think, he thinks, I'm being a little frugal. I 'd hate to add up how much I do spend though. :lol: :lol: I am lucky that my DH is very supportive of my quilting hobby as it makes me happy and keeps me busy for hours at a time.

JuneD 03-19-2011 03:54 AM

Originally Posted by Barbm
I bought a sewing/emb. machine that I looked at out of the box, put it back because I'm moving my sewing room, that alone is triple what you spent.

But- I've cut back because I don't need so much fabric anymore, I can pull from my stash and I've learned to buy only blenders and not look at full lines. It seems my "urges" are now less costly because I am satiated with my 20 tubs of fabric.

(only took me 2 years...)

BarbM....can I come live at your sewing room?????? :P

grann of 6 03-19-2011 04:17 AM

Originally Posted by great aunt jacqui
I save all my reciepts and at tax time I sort and add what I spend on food, fuel, medical and hobbies. Well I was amazed when I saw I spent $966 for my quilting alone. A third of that was for kits.(that are in my closet). No wonder I am on a fabric moratorium this year. I am doing good on that. I feel guilty that $ did not go to bills...

I will do better in 2011, frugal will be my middle name and will work from my stash. I will only ask for gift certificates for holidays and my birthday etc.

I don't keep track: for a reason. I really don't want to know. I TRY to be smart about it, but I know I spend way more than I should. But I don't take vacations (my choice) and I don't spend on frivolous things (like getting nails done, hair color, spa, etc.) My sewing is my pleasure and I figure at my age I should be able to spend MY money on what I want. My bills are all paid and I don't OWE anything.

kpelletier83 03-19-2011 04:33 AM

Ah but how much of that money went to gifts? I say you can deduct the amount you spent on gifts from the total. You probably saved money. See how I can help you justify? :-)
On that note, my husband has bee laid off two months so I am staying away from the quilt stores. I am digging through my meager stash to find some projects. Good excuse to use up those scraps.

jhoward 03-19-2011 04:49 AM

It wasn't difficult to cut back on spending, as our local quilt shop closed last summer. : ( I now have to travel for fabric. I avoid the online shops, as I know I'd want to buy "everything"!

deedum 03-19-2011 05:27 AM

If a person firgued up what they spend eating out at restaurants a year, I believe it would far exceed what we spend on fabric! Having said that, I don't feel bad at all on what I spend on fabric since we don't eat out alot! :)

deedum 03-19-2011 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by quiltmaker
There is no way I'd add up all I spent in a year....probably would have a heart attack!

Now that is funny!

OmaForFour 03-19-2011 05:42 AM

There are two LQS in the Bar Harbor, ME area and a huge Mardens. If you are ever up this way to Acadia National Park you can have a ball with fabric as well.

mshollysd 03-19-2011 05:42 AM

I really think it matters if you spend the money for fabric and then never make anything with it. I made 6 quilts for Christmas presents last year and used a lot of my fabric up. I bought batting and backing when necessary. So I can't buy fabric just because it is out there anymore, I buy it for a purpose. I am a reformed fabriholic and since I am not going to give up quilting, I need to make sure my purchases are necessary. So the amount you spend doesn't really mean anything if you are using it up too.