Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Last year I spent $$$ on quilting stuff (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/last-year-i-spent-%24%24%24-quilting-stuff-t108584.html)

BettyGee 03-19-2011 04:01 PM

If you've seen the pictures I just posted of my re-organized stash you know I spent way more than you. I'm on a total fabric withdrawal, that's my story and I'm sticking to it. Jo-Ann is having a sale on the 25th - OMG

angiecub 03-19-2011 04:21 PM

Doesn't seem that excessive, but if you have a stash, why not use it and save some $$$ this year at the same time.

quilt3311 03-19-2011 04:30 PM

I try not to think about it!! Probably around $1,000 if retreats etc are added in. I usually go to around 6 retreats in a years time, plus AQS show and IMQA show in Kansas.

great aunt jacqui 03-19-2011 04:31 PM

In november i joined the fabric moratorium so
I Am using stash and only buying backing or batting, I also buy the minimum for swaps.

Originally Posted by angiecub
Doesn't seem that excessive, but if you have a stash, why not use it and save some $$$ this year at the same time.

DewDropInn4Coughfee 03-19-2011 04:36 PM

lol////I would rather do with food.....water...or gas...and be able to buy my quilting stuff....

Sewing Joe 03-19-2011 04:56 PM

I spend way too much as compared to what i actually finish, which is almost nothing. On the other hand, I don't have any actual guilt about it, because I like piddling around in my sewing room. It makes me very happy.

karate lady 03-19-2011 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by great aunt jacqui
I save all my reciepts and at tax time I sort and add what I spend on food, fuel, medical and hobbies. Well I was amazed when I saw I spent $966 for my quilting alone. A third of that was for kits.(that are in my closet). No wonder I am on a fabric moratorium this year. I am doing good on that. I feel guilty that $ did not go to bills...

I will do better in 2011, frugal will be my middle name and will work from my stash. I will only ask for gift certificates for holidays and my birthday etc.

I keep telling my kids I want gift certificates for any occasion. they are finally getting it. At 76 I pretty much have anything else I need or want. :-D

Quilted Horse 03-19-2011 05:24 PM

I have never added all my receipts up - you'd have to be standing by with a defibrilator! I am also trying to use up what I have and purchase limited amounts of new quilting supplies. There is a great sense of satisfaction from using stuff from your stash. Keep on trying!

rob529 03-19-2011 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by Kathios
It is hard to be frugal when you live in NH--so many fabric stores and great bargains as well. Do you live close enough to visit Marden's in Sanford Maine? Deadly.

I have the opposite problem. I have nothing in my town so when I go somewhere that does I want to go crazy. I tell myself get it while you can once you get back home there is nothing.
Robin in TX

rob529 03-19-2011 05:51 PM

Go with it while you can.
Robin in TX