Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Laughing at my own expense!!!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/laughing-my-own-expense-t128596.html)

thebossbab 06-06-2011 05:06 PM

Hi All, yesterday I posted that I finally sandwiched my quilt top by spray basting it. Tough job but it's done! Well when I got done with that, I went downstairs to work in our office. Well when we went to bed that night, I wanted to admire my work again :oops: As I was looking at my very trimmed up quilt, I just started laughing!! I was so excited to see how the quilt looked that I trimmed the excess off (that I researched to make sure I was doing it right) before I did the quilting (SID). I'm afraid if I didn't laugh, I would simply start crying!! So that's where I'm at now. Any words of wisdom or advise from the seasoned quilters would be much appreciated. I did make my front border 1" bigger, so that may help. I don't know if I SID, it will effect it as much as fancier quilting. I really do not want to tie it because this is a baby quilt. Oh the trials and tribulations of a first quilt!! I will get through this....I will get through this.......... :-)

erstan947 06-06-2011 05:13 PM

You may be ok since it is a smaller quilt. Do your quilting and then see where you stand.:)

cctx. 06-06-2011 05:17 PM

Okay, you did good from what I'm reading here. If your top is smooth and wrinkle free front and back, you've done a wonderful job.

I know the Pros and Cons are open for discussions next after my post, but I leave an inch or less on all four sides of my quilts, whether it's SID or free motion quilting, why.......? Because the quilt spray will hold my layers together no matter how rough the twisting and turning actions that I do with my tops and there will be no puckers or wrinkles obvious to the work after it's all been said and done.

It's my way of doing this, and I'm happy with that.

seamstome 06-06-2011 05:22 PM

I would not worry. Just dont do dense quilting and so where you end up.

thebossbab 06-06-2011 05:25 PM

Thanks for the advice. I'll keep you all posted.

thebossbab 06-06-2011 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by seamstome
I would not worry. Just dont do dense quilting and so where you end up.

I do not understand what you mean by dense quilting?

GwynR 06-06-2011 06:01 PM

It will probably turn out great. If needed you could make your binding wider, and claim that's the look you wanted all along! :-)

thebossbab 06-06-2011 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by GwynR
It will probably turn out great. If needed you could make your binding wider, and claim that's the look you wanted all along! :-)

Yes GwynR, I also thought of that because I'm using the backing fabric for my border (heehee). Thanks!

Crabby Patty 06-06-2011 09:41 PM

Dense means a lot of quilting close together. Better in this case to maybe keep your quilting a little further apart. Sid might just turn out okay. Good luck.

thebossbab 06-06-2011 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by Crabby Patty
Dense means a lot of quilting close together. Better in this case to maybe keep your quilting a little further apart. Sid might just turn out okay. Good luck.

Thanks Crabby Patty, I'll take a longer stitch then and see what happens.