Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Laundering quilts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/laundering-quilts-t85439.html)

gaigai 12-27-2010 06:45 AM

I put everything, even my silk clothing and underwear, in the regular washer and dryer. If it is a big quilt, I will take it to a laundromat and use the large front-load machine, but that is rare. My top-load washer will handle a king-sized comforter, so just about everything will fit.

I do us a delicate or hand-wash cycle as needed.

dkabasketlady 12-27-2010 07:05 AM

I always put them in my own washer & dryer even the king size ones. I have a stack washer & dryer, but it's a full size one. I haven't had any problems to date.

crochetetc 12-27-2010 08:44 AM

Between the dogs, kiddo and husband our quilts are washed at minimum once a week. My favorite quilt is the one my mother made for my daughter when she was 1, that was all batiks. I quickly claimed it as mine and have used it daily since then. It gets washed with cold water with all free and clear soap and then dried on low. I have never had a problem with the washings. This quilt is well loved and still looks brand new other then the fingernail polish stain...

amma 12-27-2010 10:22 AM

As long as it is adequately quilted and stitched/pieced, I don't think laundering a quilt will hurt it. The ones I have made get heavy laundering, and I haven't heard of one falling apart yet :D:D:D

ckcowl 12-27-2010 10:39 AM

i put them into the washer...my own if they fit, the laundrymat if they are too big...then i toss them into the dryer. I love how they come out all soft and fluffy!
even my silks/velvet/corduroy/wool/flannel crazy quilt gets tossed into washer and dryer (for almost 10 years now) nothing bad has ever happened. except the one time i did not have a couple appliques stitched down well and they came up....I felt that it was a really good thing i always wash my quilts as soon as they are finished before they go to anyone. that way if anything is going to happen i will know and can fix it before the recipient has to deal with any stress.

ann clare 12-27-2010 10:52 AM

I do same as you.

Boscobd 12-27-2010 08:15 PM

I just toss mine in the washer and dryer like normal clothes. I do tend to wash a new one alone for its first washing with a color catcher to judge how much/if it will bleed. When I know it's okay, it's then just considered normal laundry. I make my quilts to be used and loved. If they end up falling apart in years to come, well that's just an excuse to make another quilt!

Jim's Gem 12-27-2010 08:17 PM

I throw mine in the washer and dryer.

Alice Woodhull 12-28-2010 03:37 AM

I wash the quilts I use in the washer and hang them outside to dry. They have lasted for years, I only wash them twice a year. I like the look and feel of new quilts so I don't wash them. I have scads that I have made and need to find homes for them so I can have room for all I have in the works. I never wash my fabric before I cut it, as I like the feel of new. I've never had any to bleed yet in 20 + years of quilting.

Julie in NM 12-28-2010 04:42 AM

In the washer. Reg cycle. Reg detergent..gotta get that thing clean again. Toss in drier. Ready to use again.