Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Learning the "bargello" technique (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/learning-bargello-technique-t235564.html)

Dina 11-26-2013 01:44 PM

Learning the "bargello" technique

1 Attachment(s)
I decided a week ago to make a bargello quilt, and made this place mat to learn the technique. I am rather pleased with it and have decided to not use it as a place mat but to put it in my cat's basket here in my sewing room.

My current question is should I just bind it or put a small border on it first. I have some of each of the fabrics left that I could use.

Now, for my "real" bargello quilt, I think I need to make sure none of my fabrics are as close to the same color as my three lightest fabrics are. Would you all agree with that decision?? Fabric selection is not one of my strengths, and I sure want the finished product to be good!

Thanks for your input.

Dina

cjsews 11-26-2013 02:36 PM

First, you did a great job. I don't think your cat will care if it has a border or not. These colors would make a beautiful larger quilt. And I think your 3 lightest are quite close in value. But, maybe being a larger quilt it will look different.

nativetexan 11-26-2013 02:39 PM

If it's for kitty, I wouldn't worry about a border. Very nice though!!!

Tartan 11-26-2013 02:48 PM

Pretty! If you want the pattern to show up, you do need some contrast. If you are doing all that work piecing, you want the contrast between the tiny pieces to be noticeable.

amyjo 11-26-2013 02:51 PM

love it. Kitty won't care if it has a border, but make sure your edges are sewed so they don't come apart. Take a picture B & W will show the colors in grey scale and you can tell where you need to add a little more contrast.

Dina 11-26-2013 03:01 PM

Yes, thanks for the input. My "real" quilt won't be these colors. I am still deciding on those. The pattern, Surf Song, calls for 20 fabrics, two colors. I am actually glad that others think those lights one are too much the same shade. That means I am learning what works best.

I actually took a picture in black and white, or sort of. I had my printer print my color picture in black and white. I just didn't follow through too well in understanding what I was trying to do.

Learning all along here. And enjoying it!!

Dina

ckcowl 11-26-2013 03:11 PM

you really did a great job on this first one! when you print off your fabric selections print them in 'Grayscale' then you will see the 'values' of the fabrics- it makes it easier to distinguish between lights/mediums/darks- and if one is out of place you can easily see it- making it easy to rearrange get them into the sequence you like.

sushi 11-26-2013 06:12 PM

Dina, I am very impressed by your openness to the critique of others! And you've been well-advised in all of the above posts.

I've made a number of bargello quilts, and my advice is to not shy away from the lightest lights (even white, if necessary) and the darkest darks (even black, if necessary) in order to get optimal contrast. If I can figure out how to move a photo from my cell phone to my computer and post it here, I'll do so. It'll give you an idea of what I mean.

Sewnoma 11-26-2013 06:30 PM

Wonderful!! I love bargellos!

More contrast is optional...if you want a wider swath of a certain value (like a wide pale swath with a narrower dark gradient) then there's nothing wrong with similar values...if that's what you're aiming for.

But if that's NOT what you're aiming for - I think you're right, these pale ones in your sample are a little too close.

It looks great though, I hope you post pics of your next one. :) I've made 2 so far and can't wait to find time to make more.

Grandma Bonnie 11-26-2013 06:38 PM

Your little one is beautiful! I'm not good with colors so no help there but I can see what others mean (& what you already seemed to know) that those three are a bit close. But I love it and your cat really won't care! Great job!