Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   learning to do miniatures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/learning-do-miniatures-t242842.html)

running1 03-09-2014 03:17 PM

Oh my goodness!!! That is fantastic!! I, too, saw the amazing miniatures at Paducah... I have no idea how anyone can physically handle such tiny pieces of fabric! I think your block is really neat!!

oksewglad 03-09-2014 04:29 PM

I think you are off to a great start.
I like to use a foundation (thin fabric) for LC blocks.
My favorite rulers are Creative Grids or Olfa frosted with very thin lines for precise cutting.
Starch.
Beware of the LR swing. We tend to sew a bit too wide at the beginning of a seam and then narrow it down when we finish off. When sewing miniatures this small error is magnified. Sewing leaders and enders helps keep one on the straight and narrow! Using a stiletto helps too.

Oh and are you a BB fan?--Go Cyclones!

sdeaaz 03-09-2014 04:36 PM

We enjoy football more.... I know I know... but everyone in Iowa is a Cyclone BB fan this year... we have two boys and two DIL's who graduated from ISU..... great school.

Originally Posted by oksewglad (Post 6617969)
I think you are off to a great start.
I like to use a foundation (thin fabric) for LC blocks.
My favorite rulers are Creative Grids or Olfa frosted with very thin lines for precise cutting.
Starch.
Beware of the LR swing. We tend to sew a bit too wide at the beginning of a seam and then narrow it down when we finish off. When sewing miniatures this small error is magnified. Sewing leaders and enders helps keep one on the straight and narrow! Using a stiletto helps too.

Oh and are you a BB fan?--Go Cyclones!

almond 03-09-2014 05:13 PM

I love doing miniatures also and I am also from Iowa. Just finished a Dear Jane quilt and have done many mini quilts. Spray starch is your friend. I see Oksewglad responded to your thread, she is a fantastic mini quilter. Also saw a post from a gal from Salem, Iowa that does minis.

Go Hawkeyes!!!!

sdeaaz 03-10-2014 05:50 AM

second attempt on miniature

1 Attachment(s)
Ok , so I took the advice of the wonderful quilters on this site. I marked each piece and hand sewed. There is a lot of improvement. I measured after each addition and my block did come out the size it was suppose to. It still isn't perfect. But I will keep practicing.

oksewglad 03-10-2014 06:18 AM

Yeah!! You will get it and next you will be at the machine sewing these!
almond has created some very beautiful miniatures--check them out, even if she is a Hawkeye fan.

Oh and we're both FB and BB fans, but favor BB. Also have 3 ISU Alums and 1 DIL. Currently nephew from out east is attending. He loves being in Iowa and may have become a permanent resident.

ube quilting 03-10-2014 02:06 PM

Starch your fabric and make strips longer than needed and trim them as you go around the block. I also trim the seam allowance after it is sewn to 1/8", don't think an 1/8" seam is easy to sew. make the bigger seam and trim it. and try pressing them open before you trim them. Use a fine thread like Aurifil 50 wt.
I like to make mini quilts. Look up Rhonda on the board, she loves to make minis' and has some great tutorials.
peace

sdeaaz 03-10-2014 04:51 PM

How do I look up post by Rhonda???

oksewglad 03-10-2014 07:38 PM

Go to her post in this thread. Click on her name and a box pops up. I like to use "View Profile" and click on it. here under her avator is a list in blue letters. Click on "Find latest started threads" and you will be directed to all the threads that she has posted. You can do this to anyone on the board to see what they have shared.

PenniF 03-11-2014 06:29 AM

I've only done a few miniatures for Christmas ornaments (i hung them inside clear glass Christmas ornaments) - and as attachments to book markers.....but i always did them by paper piecing. It worked really well - particularly with any kind of log cabin / log cabin variation.