Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   learning to HAND applique! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/learning-hand-applique-t133008.html)

jaciqltznok 06-25-2011 06:25 AM

I have a lady who is willing to teach me to do hand needle turn applique...she uses ONLY silk thread...is this a must???
also straw needles...

what do you all use..pro's, con's...
I love to do handwork, but applique the traditional way scares me to death!

erstan947 06-25-2011 06:28 AM

I would use what she suggests to learn, then you can develop your own style and tools. Enjoy the learn process:)

sharon b 06-25-2011 06:31 AM

I have heard with the silk thread it basically disappears - I would follow what she says until you see what you like. I wish I has someone offer to teach me :mrgreen:

sewobsessed1 06-25-2011 06:36 AM

Definitely follow her directions!
Honestly, I use whatever I have on hand, including regular old embroidery floss and whatever needle is the closest to grab. :oops: If I could afford the silk, I'd most definitely use it.

Don't be scared, it might end up to be one of those, "Geez, I love doing this! Why didn't I try it earlier?" kind of things.

nycquilter 06-25-2011 06:39 AM

Go with what you have. the woman who taught me her technique did not specify and so, I use any thread that is thin enough to fit through the needle. I applique on the subway and still do work that doesn't show the stitches

JCquilts 06-25-2011 06:51 AM

Everyone has a different combination of needle and thread that works for them. And each has their pros and cons.

You should try what she suggests, but also try others, so that you can decide what you are most comfortable with.

I use a number 11 applique needle and Mettlers 60wt cotton thread

A very thin needles really helps to make the invisable blind stitch but the straw needle is too long for me to be comfotable to sew and to get the accuracy that I want. But, I know many who are more comfortable with the straw needle than the shorter applique needle.

The silk thread must be knotted on the end of the needle to prevent it from slipping off all the time. I dont enjoy sewing with the silk thread, but others swear by it as you only need one or two colors for all your applique.

thimblebug6000 06-25-2011 07:35 AM

I use whatever I have handy that matches the fabrics, however I did use the silk when I made my bouganvillea mug rugs and it's the smoky colour & it really does totally disappear.

Candace 06-25-2011 07:42 AM

The straw needles are awesome. And they're all I use for hand applique. Silk thread is great too. But, I've already got a wonderful stash of Aurifil, Mettler and Masterpiece so I use that. I've currently got a needleturn project and I'm glad I learned....but I still much prefer the starch method with hand applique.

janedee 06-25-2011 07:49 AM

I love needleturn applique - silk cottons are lovely to stitch with - haven't tried straw needles I use a quilting needle but I would go with whatever your tutor is telling you worth investing in some applique pins - very tiny and fine -
have fun it is a very relaxing way to make a quilt plus once you have all your shapes cut you can do it anywhere.

NDQuilts 06-25-2011 07:51 AM

I use both silk and cotton to hand appliqué. I prefer the silk as it is so fine the stitches hide easily and I only have to use a few spools. Needles are a matter of preference. I have used straw, appliqué, and betweens. If I have a lot of sharp corners I like longer needles. Otherwise i just grab whatever is handy. For now go with your teachers suggestions. This is the voice of experience and it sounds like she will go with cinventional wisdom.