Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Learning to Use Thimble (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/learning-use-thimble-t189204.html)

Holice 05-16-2012 03:05 PM

Learning to Use Thimble

How did you learn to use a thimble? How were you taught to use it?
Any tricks for someone who can't use a thimble but is learning.
It comes natural to me but many can't seem to grasp the technique.

mucky 05-16-2012 03:16 PM

I don't feelx comfortable using a thimble. If I put it on one finger I automatically use the free one. Guess no one taught me how to use it. Consequently I rarely use one.

Neesie 05-16-2012 03:21 PM

Not everyone needs a thimble. No one taught me to use one; I just didn't like jabbing my finger, when I did hand sewing . . . so got myself one and stuck it onto my finger. I do prefer the leather ones, over the metal ones.

Hinterland 05-16-2012 03:26 PM

I had to figure it out for myself. It helped having a pretty thimble that I wanted to use. I ended up putting it on my ring finger for hand sewing, and once I got used to it, I can't sew without it. I've tried it on my middle finger but can't quite figure out how to hold the needle.

For hand quilting, I quickly learned to use it on my middle finger - it hurt to push the needle unless I had the thimble on.

Janet

HomespunHandmaiden 05-16-2012 03:47 PM

I always have 2 on my right hand when I hand-quilt...a rubber thimble on my middle finger for going across or down and a strong plastic thumb thimble for going up

cannyquilter 05-16-2012 04:04 PM

I have real trouble using a thimble, I don't seem to be able to sew in the usual way if I use a thimble. Also I have really small fingers and just can't seem to find a thimble that fits. Even extra small is too large, I did find one that is adjustable but I still could not get it small enough! So I am not sure if the main problem is not having a properly fitting thimble (tried a leather one way too big) Have thought about those stick on dots things has anybody tried those. Any help in using a thimble would be appreciated.

Sewflower 05-16-2012 04:10 PM

I've tried all different kinds of thimbles and still have trouble and end up not using any. The only one I had any luck with was the rubber kind. I have callous on my fingers so that helps. Don't know of any tutorials on thimble uses but have had different teachers try to show me with no such luck. Good luck to you

DogHouseMom 05-16-2012 04:15 PM

I've tried a few different thimbles, and like some, when it's on my finger I can't seem to get that finger to work so I use a different finger.

I CAN tell you though that I was successful at finding a thimble that fits really well. I have very small hands. I purchased a size X-small leather thimble and it was too small so I soaked it in water and then wore it until it dried. Once dried, it was the size and shape of my finger.

I just wish I could actually use the darned thing.

bakermom 05-16-2012 04:52 PM

I have the best luck with a leather thimble. Never liked using one until I took up english smocking. For quilting, I go back to using adhesive tape on my fingers.

bearisgray 05-16-2012 04:57 PM

Sometimes if one flattens a round thimble a little bit - it stays on one's finger better.