Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Leather thimble? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/leather-thimble-t267536.html)

Geri B 07-13-2015 11:04 AM

Leather thimble?

I have regular thimbles, but bought something new to me from JAF recently.......these are 3 in pack and they are just strips of leather tied with a green thread. I wore one once,but shortly after that green thread that tied it together broke....am I supposed to re thread and adjust to were I want it.....what thread to use...hand quilting, that would be logical......btw these are made by clover.....thanks

bakermom 07-13-2015 11:34 AM

I've wondered about those, too.
I use a leather thimble that slips over my fingertip. Buy them at JAF too but don't remember the brand.

ptquilts 07-13-2015 01:20 PM

As I have worn holes in plastic thimbles and even metal thimbles, I would not trust a leather thimble.

quiltingcandy 07-13-2015 01:24 PM

Can you post a picture of it? My leather thimble had elastic so it just slipped on to the finger. Since the needles can go thru the leather after a while, I quit using it and bought a silver one sized to my fingers. But it was better than nothing.

Peckish 07-13-2015 06:01 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Geri B (Post 7255734)
these are 3 in pack and they are just strips of leather tied with a green thread.

I hated those, they were worthless.

I've purchased just about every kind of thimble there is on the market. I really dislike the metal ones because they are so very round, and my fingers are NOT.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]525087[/ATTACH]

After trying all of them, this is the one I found worked the best for me. It's made by Clover and is leather. I've had it for about 3 years now.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]525088[/ATTACH]

oklahomamom2 07-13-2015 06:28 PM

Wow, that's a long time to have a leather thimble with out messing it up, I buy my leather thimbles off of etsy. I have never tired this one but its something to look in too.

faykilgore 07-13-2015 06:51 PM

I also have quite the thimble collection. I will have to add one of these!

zozee 07-13-2015 06:56 PM

I bought that leather one by Clover and loved it, but accidentally sucked it up into my vacuum cleaner one day (didn't realize it till a few days later). It was the same color as my carpet, and I wasn't wearing glasses... That thimble wasn't cheap! Lesson learned.

Originally Posted by Peckish (Post 7256102)
I hated those, they were worthless.

I've purchased just about every kind of thimble there is on the market. I really dislike the metal ones because they are so very round, and my fingers are NOT.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]525087[/ATTACH]

After trying all of them, this is the one I found worked the best for me. It's made by Clover and is leather. I've had it for about 3 years now.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]525088[/ATTACH]

Bree123 07-13-2015 06:57 PM

I just bought exact the same thing. Worst purchase ever! They are supposed to be one-size-fits-all but none of them fit on any of my fingers. They were all way too big.

pennycandy 07-13-2015 08:31 PM

I bought the same leather thimble as Peckish to use when I hand tied a quilt. A metal one didn't work well for me but the leather one was just what I needed.