Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Are the 'Leaves Galore' template rulers worth the money? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/leaves-galore-template-rulers-worth-money-t194987.html)

Knitette 07-17-2012 11:47 PM

Are the 'Leaves Galore' template rulers worth the money?

I've been considering the Leaves Galore templates by Sue Pelland for a while now, but I really need to know if they are worth the money.

Over here a set of 3 would cost me $86 (I can only find one retailer in the whole of the UK) and the Petite one is $31 - they don't offer the other sizes on their own.

I do quite a bit of appliqué and am working on a Laundry Basket pattern just now.

Are they worth the money?

Yarn or Fabric 07-18-2012 02:38 AM

Ouch. That would be expensive. I'm not sure how many shapes you need but.... Have you considered taking paper printouts of the exact templates you need to a glass shop? They can cut you the plexiglass pieces so you can use them for rotary cutting. I just had a glass shop cut me a template for a ruler I want to have manufactured and it cost me $8. It's a pretty big ruler. You might want to call around and see if you can find someone near you that can cut plexiglass accurately before spending that kind of cash.

Knitette 07-18-2012 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by Yarn or Fabric (Post 5374310)
Ouch. That would be expensive. I'm not sure how many shapes you need but.... Have you considered taking paper printouts of the exact templates you need to a glass shop? They can cut you the plexiglass pieces so you can use them for rotary cutting. I just had a glass shop cut me a template for a ruler I want to have manufactured and it cost me $8. It's a pretty big ruler. You might want to call around and see if you can find someone near you that can cut plexiglass accurately before spending that kind of cash.

That's a brilliant idea! Thanks :thumbup:

Prism99 07-18-2012 07:34 AM

I just watched the video:
http://suepellanddesigns.com/

The price is similar in the U.S. -- about $80 for the set of 3 ordered online.

Looks intriguing! I guess it depends on how many leaves you need. I can see it being useful if you need lots and lots of leaves.

CoyoteQuilts 07-18-2012 09:00 AM

If I was an applique person this would be THE tool for me. BUT since I am not an applique person I shall let another get my set of rulers. On the other hand that idea about a carpenters chalk line is a great idea! I shall have to see what the price of the silly things are empty at Home Depot or Lowe's and how much the iron off chalk is. I don't need the other stuff that is offered with the purchase at her site. Thanks for the link...

Tartan 07-18-2012 10:11 AM

It does sound a bit pricey to me too. I wonder if it would be worth your while to invest in an Accuquilt cutting machine or the mini machine instead. I seem to remember that one of them had leaf cutting plates? At least with the machine you could buy other plates to use with it later.

Grace creates 07-18-2012 10:41 AM

This is a great idea, but too pricey. I like the idea of having one made with plexiglass

MadQuilter 07-18-2012 10:46 AM

I would have a hard time with this because it takes quite a bit of pressure on the template to keep it from moving. You can see in the video that she is struggling a bit too (or appears to). By the time everything is aligned and cut, I would have cut a bunch using either single templates or freezer paper for a fraction of the price.

Prism99 07-18-2012 11:25 AM

You know, I could see that ruler as being useful for freezer paper applique too. It could be used to draw the leaf shapes on freezer paper (instead of cutting fabric), allowing lots of freezer paper leaves to be drawn at one time. Or, it could be used to cut the leaf shapes directly out of freezer paper.

I agree that quite a bit of pressure would be needed to cut more than one layer of fabric using the template. I have found cutting around curved templates with the small rotary cutter to be rather awkward for me.

Since the small template makes quite a range of leaf sizes, I am thinking it would be enough to get just that one template. I didn't look at the other sizes, but they would almost certainly be overkill for me.

garysgal 07-18-2012 03:49 PM

My husband cut one for me from plexiglass. It works!