Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Led Lights (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/led-lights-t200827.html)

QM 09-18-2012 09:48 PM

We moved into a new (to us) trailer last year. Although it is quite recent, the lighting was terrible. DH put in LED lighting almost everywhere. I love it. I also love our power bills. Even with lots of medical equipment for both of us, air filters in every room, and lots of AC, our bill last month was $41. DH points out that 7 watts of power gives the equivalent of 150 watts of incandescent light. DH was a lighting tech for ABC News. He knows his stuff. It does cost to make the transition, but I love the results. DH figured that the cost of all the new lighting pays for itself in 3-5 years. It would be shorter with more expensive power.

ranbro 09-19-2012 02:46 AM

I have 4 of those Ikea lights and they work great. At $10.00 they are a lot cheaper then those other lights and the IKEA lights are SUPER BRIGHT. I brought one of mine to our little quild and now several others have gone to IKEA and got their own and they LOVE them.

Cindy60545 09-19-2012 04:09 AM

I just saw these a couple of days ago at one of the LQS. I was talking to the owner of the shop who told me that everyone that's gotten them is just ecstatic with them. I'm thinking of adding it on my longarm.

Janie67 09-19-2012 04:54 AM

I got a strip of 6 led lights as a gift and they are Amazing! Expensive but worth it for aging eyes 😄My friend got a strip of two and they are not enough and she is going to get the longer strip .

Janie67 09-19-2012 04:56 AM

Expensive but well worth it! Get the 6 light strip--Less is not enough!

Sallyflymi 09-19-2012 05:31 AM

An inexpensive way go to the Dollar store and buy a flash light they have and tape it to your machine. I love mine so i can read in bed without the other lights one. Haven't had time to check taping to my machine as i just thought it.

BellaBoo 09-19-2012 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by Sallyflymi (Post 5525408)
An inexpensive way go to the Dollar store and buy a flash light they have and tape it to your machine. I love mine so i can read in bed without the other lights one. Haven't had time to check taping to my machine as i just thought it.

The inexpensive book lights don't have very good light at all. There is a difference in LED lights too. Some of the cheaper LED bulbs aren't very bright even if they look the same size as the more expensive ones. And the cheaper ones don't last long at all. 100,000 hours is the norm for good LED electrical lights.

newbiequilter 09-19-2012 07:45 AM

Check ecoluxlighting.com - they have a variety of sizes for different machines. I have a 6 light strip for my Bernina and am purchasing a 3 light strip for the Viking. The nice thing is if you have different machines all you need to do is purchase one with a cord and the cord is interchangable with the other light strips. No I do not work for them! HAHAHA
But - I do have a bendable LED light that I have used for several years and this is the second one - the cord keep fraying - very flimsy IMHO. Would not purchase another one of those (esp. since they are selling for around $50 now).

KyKaren1949 09-19-2012 10:58 AM

I have the Janome 6600 and agree there is not enough light-especially if sewing in the evening.

I bought the Bendable Bright Light which attaches to a bracket that sticks on my machine. You can purchase additional brackets for around $6 to put on other machines if you have a different machine you take to workshops, etc.

www.sewforless.com has the Bendable Bright Light for around $27. I have no affiliation with them other than looking for good prices.

I love this particular one because it has a flexible neck which allows me to swivel it out to focus on my fabric when I'm seam ripping, etc. I can also focus it on my presser foot while sewing, but also use it for other close up tasks. I also like that it plugs in and is not reliant on batteries.

I'm interested in the light above that apparently came from Ikea. I believe that's the one I've seen Bonnie Hunter using! I wondered where it came from.

Pollytink 09-19-2012 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Peckish (Post 5523582)
I purchased a $10 lamp at IKEA, the neck is bendable like Gumby and it stays where I put it. I like the fact that I can use it at my machine, or take it in to a different room and sit with my husband while I do handwork. IKEA also has one that clamps on.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]363843[/ATTACH]

A member of my Necchi list who does a bunch of YouTube videos had one and since there's no Ikea near me, he very nicely got it for me and shipped it to me....total $15. I really like it! You can bend that light to wherever you want it!