Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Lee Wards All Purpose Quilt Frame (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/lee-wards-all-purpose-quilt-frame-t100793.html)

diamondplatelady 02-18-2011 06:06 AM

I am so excited! Was on craigslist the others day and someone had posted a quilt frame for $18.00! Well I jumped on it. All the frames I have looked at have been Way out of my budget so I have been using a hoop with stand to quilt on. This has all the parts, paperwork and original box. The man found it in his basement while doing a clean out. His mother had used it. Now I just have to figure out how to attach the quilt, one in progress, and I am off. Just had to share and see if anyone has tips on attaching the quilt. :-D

Enchanted Quilter 02-18-2011 06:19 AM

Great buy. have fun learning

CoyoteQuilts 02-18-2011 07:06 AM

What type of quilt frame? Wooden? PVC? If wooden, does it have 3 rails, or does it have 4?

A popular one is Gracie and I have a 3 rail system. It is wood and I just thumb tacked leaders on the rails. 2 different widths of leaders on one rail (wider one for the quilt top than the quilt backing) and one leader on each of the other 2. This way I didn't have to thumb tack each quilt top and back to the frame. Thumb tacks hurt the fingers when pressing! The 4 rail ones are what we use at church. It makes a big square and you roll the quilt part that you have done onto one of the rails then re-clamp and continue quilting or tying.

If it is PVC there should be 'sleeves' to hold the quilt backing to the frame, then you pin the top on the edged to the backing.

Does this help in any way?

hobo2000 02-18-2011 07:40 AM

Use adhesive backed Velcro on your frame and it won't destroy the wood frame. Use the hook on the frame and Sew the loop on the leader. Works great!

shemoo 08-21-2011 06:58 AM

I just purchased a quilting frame at an auction that I was sure was a grace, however when I went online the grace frames have metal rails but this one has all wooden rails, everything else looks the same. Would this be an older model grace frame and could you share how to attach the quilt? This frame has fabric strips attached to the wood rails with tacks. Thanks for any help you can offer. I also have a Jasmine 3 rail frame that I love. I was hoping that this one would be better for my mother in law who has limited space.

Preacherjack 01-15-2019 07:12 PM

Help

Originally Posted by diamondplatelady (Post 2558364)
I am so excited! Was on craigslist the others day and someone had posted a quilt frame for $18.00! Well I jumped on it. All the frames I have looked at have been Way out of my budget so I have been using a hoop with stand to quilt on. This has all the parts, paperwork and original box. The man found it in his basement while doing a clean out. His mother had used it. Now I just have to figure out how to attach the quilt, one in progress, and I am off. Just had to share and see if anyone has tips on attaching the quilt. :-D

I have my grandmothers Lee Wards quilting frame in pieces. Could you PM me a picture and or instructions sheet?

Thanks

quiltingcandy 01-15-2019 09:27 PM

Congratulations!!! I had one of those. Just like you I found it at a yard sale in 1989 and it cost about $20.00 with all the parts and instructions. Very easy to put together - Iused a staple gun to put the fabric on the rails and then stitched the quilt top and back to them with a long running stitch. It was wonderful but too big for the area I had to quilt in. Drove my DH crazy when I had a quilt on it because it was on his side of the bed in the bedroom. So I ended up selling it at a yard sale 5 years later. Sure wish I had kept it now that I have a sewing room. But I do like my Hinterberg quilting hoop on a stand.

Jordan 01-16-2019 12:55 PM

Congratulations! Happy for you and hope you enjoy using it.