Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   "Leftover" starched fabric (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/leftover-starched-fabric-t221161.html)

Daffy Daphne 05-10-2013 09:10 AM

"Leftover" starched fabric

I don't remember seeing this question in the threads about starching our fabric, so: When you've starched fabric for a project and didn't use it all, what about the leftover pieces? Should you rinse them to get out the starch before putting them in your stash?

Has anyone here ever actually seen their starched fabric attract bugs?

AFQSinc 05-10-2013 10:04 AM

In the past I have washed my starched leftovers. I'm too scared to take a chance!

ube quilting 05-10-2013 10:08 AM

Never had a problem in 20 years.
peace

AFQSinc 05-10-2013 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by ube quilting (Post 6056292)
Never had a problem in 20 years.
peace

You know, this is a good point. I kind of feel like if you've never had a problem then you probably won't. My stash is upstairs, i.e., not in my basement, and I'm in and out of it. I'm always moving it around and rearranging it. So I haven't ever seen anything. But who knows? If a house is prone to get bugs then it might happen if fabric is starched or not.

Tartan 05-10-2013 10:38 AM

I usually cut off the amount I think I will be sub-cutting and only starch it before cutting. The scraps get thrown in my scrap bin. I haven't noticed any problems in about 3 years of accumulated scraps. If I was folding up yardage to put back in my stash I would wash it again.

Lori S 05-10-2013 11:39 AM

I have never had an issue with bugs and starch. If you are concerned buy those huge 4XXL zip lock bags or smaller depending on how much you have. I buy those at the grocery store. Its moisture that attracts them , and then they can live on starch. Book bindings are also a favorite of these kind of bugs.

pocoellie 05-10-2013 11:50 AM

I've never had any problem with bugs and my starched fabrics. I would say that if you have a "bug" problem then maybe it would be best to rinse the starch out, but if you don't have the bug problem, having starched fabric isn't going to be a problem, in my opinion.

SherriB 05-10-2013 01:26 PM

I use starch quite often and haven't had any problems with bugs yet. I don't starch until I am ready to use my fabric and my scraps are in a plastic tote on shelf.

quilterCDN 05-10-2013 01:30 PM

I don't starch any of my fabrics, but then I do not pre-wash my fabric either.

ghostrider 05-10-2013 01:48 PM

Growing up, we fairly often had trouble with earwigs munching on starched clothes in our closets, book bindings, anything with paste, etc. The house was always spotless, but we lived in the woods. It's one of the reasons I don't use starch on anything as an adult.

Like many things...prewashing fabric to stop bleeding and acid free storage to prevent stains come immediately to mind...if you haven't had a problem, you're much less likely to think guarding against it is worthwhile. It's a personal decision, no right or wrong.