Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   A Lesson Learned - Check your fabric (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/lesson-learned-check-your-fabric-t153342.html)

miholmes 09-16-2011 05:52 AM

Good Morning,

So I sent out a quilt to be quilted by our talented Charismah. Now I haven't sent a lot of things out to be quilted. This is actually my 2nd.

But here's the lesson i learned....CHECK YOUR BACKING FABRIC. Charismah was loading my quilt and there were imperfections in the fabric and she's not able to use it on the quilt. So different backing will be used.

So not only could I have fixed this entire issue by checking all of my fabric at the shop. But I also could have saved Charismah a lot of time.

So just something to keep in the back of your mind. Thankfully Charismah was really accommodating (bless her heart)

But my flakes are a little frosted that I didn't find it before she did and saved us all some time.

Anyway, there's my lesson of the day.

Grama Lehr 09-16-2011 05:55 AM

Your flakes were a little frosted?? Love it!!
Charisma is a real sweetheart, I can't wait to make a quilt worth of her quilting.

starshine 09-16-2011 05:59 AM

How do you check your fabric for flaws at the shop?

Highmtn 09-16-2011 06:00 AM

What type of *flaws* miholmes??

annthreecats 09-16-2011 06:01 AM

Wow, that's too bad. Thanks for the heads up. I'll keep that in mind in the future.

miholmes 09-16-2011 06:12 AM

"flaws" as in some tears in the fabric. Basically she couldn't use it because there were 2-4 tears in the fabric.

Basically I should have checked all of the fabric before I put it in the "to -do" bin. That way the issue would have been resolved right away.

And I understand things like this can happen with the best of fabric companies, but when you spend 9-12 dollars a yard for the "good" fabric you assume it will be good.

Anyway we're getting it taken care of. But for anyone else who may get things and put them in your "to-do" bin. You might start checking them. :)

Highmtn 09-16-2011 06:21 AM

Thank you... good advice!

babyfireo4 09-16-2011 06:27 AM

I never even thought of that being an issue! Thanks for the heads up, will have to "check" aka. play in my fabric to see ;)

Jingle 09-16-2011 06:43 AM

I always wash,dry and fold all fabrics as soon as I get them. I look them over very well while smoothing them out before folding. Of course, I'm much older than you and have been at this for about 44 years.
Good tip.

Vanuatu Jill 09-16-2011 09:51 AM

Good advice, Michael! I had the same thing happen with a cut piece of a few yards, but luckily, I was cutting it myself when I noticed a few areas that were flawed-a couple had dye imperfections (like the fabric might have been creased when the dye went over it) and also a couple places that had (hard to describe)a lump of threads in one space. I bought that fabric overseas, and it wasn't the best quality (I was learning then), and luckily had enough to cut around it. From now on, I will check it!!