Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   lesson or pattern (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/lesson-pattern-t223957.html)

chergram 06-18-2013 04:55 AM

lesson or pattern

hello all I am interested in finding pre cut fabric blocks or charm packs I do not use roary cutter
so need pre cuts or need to have inf on how to cut with sizzors I am from the old school and and
like to do things that way as i am a old girl lol am also interested to learn the quilt as you go thanks

tessagin 06-18-2013 05:00 AM

I would say you would need the marking pencils or chalks to mark the lines you need to cut. Make sure you have very sharp scissors. You may want to try a rotary though. Makes things easier. Just be careful the same as you need to be careful with sharp scissors. You can still cut yourself.

tessagin 06-18-2013 05:01 AM

you can go to any shopping venue for fabrics. They all sell pre-cuts. Just make sure you measure. Some measurements are not true.

bigsister63 06-18-2013 05:08 AM

YES you can teach a "old girl" new tricks. Learn to use a rotary cutter.It is easy to learn to use and makes your life SOOO much easier. Also it makes cutting more accurate which is what you need in quilting. The seams in quilting need to be straight and even so you can sew straight and even . This is much more important than is making clothes. YES you can do it.! All that said precuts certainly have their place! Many LGS have them as well as most online quilt stores. you go girl!!!!!

Jingle 06-18-2013 05:15 AM

I started quilting with the old ways. I learned the new ways and will never go back. My aim is to make lots of quilts and the new ways make that faster and easier. Lots of safe ways to use a rotary cutter with rulers. Old dogs can learn new tricks. Good luck with your endeavors.

Barb in Louisiana 06-18-2013 05:26 AM

I have bought pre-cut kits from this lady on Ebay before. http://www.ebay.com/itm/221240378567...84.m1438.l2649

Click on "see other items" & it will show everything she has listed. She is, also, willing to upsize it for you by adding additional borders. I've had very few problems with her cutting. Mostly, it's my scant quarter inch seam that causes me the problems. haha

I've put together 5 of her quilts & have at least 5 more to do, so I am a good customer. Her material is not the super soft $13 a yard that you would buy from a quiltshop, but it's very good for utility quilts.

I agree with the others though......even if you don't want to cut all the pattern out yourself, the rotary cutters sure do help with squaring up blocks - especially half square triangle blocks. If you are hand sewing you won't have a problem, because it is much easier to work in extra fabric.

Good luck!

Holice 06-18-2013 05:28 AM

Ok the old way is still ok. Some may find new tools convenient and easy to learn but others may prefer the so called old ways. So, you will need templates ans rulers . You can cut multiple blocks by marking the grids and then cutting with scissors. Then use templates for other shapes. Lets help the poster in the technic she wants to do.

Cyn 06-18-2013 05:37 AM

I learned without all the fancy new tools and it was fun! Pre cuts are everywhere now too. My first quilt was a sampler where the teacher taught us how to use cereal boxes as the template. We copied the pattern on freezer paper then ironed it on the box sides. Cut them out, draw around them on material with pencils. It was fun. I didn't know any other way but it felt good not to need all the stuff. Of course I have all the other stuff now :)

DebraK 06-18-2013 07:36 AM

you can often find used books, very cheap, that teach the old ways. Maybe check out a used bookstore or even a library for some good information and templates.

Tartan 06-18-2013 08:27 AM

I started with cereal box cardboard templates, pencil, ruler and scissors. Do you have a sewing machine or will you be piecing by hand? You might find a pattern you like at www.quilterscache.com quilt blocks galore and I think they have directions for both rotary cutting and templates? Start with a simple block like Nine Patch to get the method down to piece a block. Once you have enough Nine Patch blocks, sew them into a quilt top.