Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Let the fun begin (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/let-fun-begin-t283076.html)

Tartan 10-17-2016 07:34 AM

Let the fun begin

1 Attachment(s)
It is crawl on the floor day as I get ready to glue baste my lap quilt. Not fun but a necessary step before machine quilting. I really like using my pool noodle to roll up my top on so I can roll it out over the glue. I am ironing as I roll it out but have to stop and clean my iron of glue residue once and a while. Does anyone else find that the Elmer's washable glue kind of puts a bit of scum on their iron? I could let it dry by itself but I like the nice flatness ironing gives it.[ATTACH=CONFIG]560399[/ATTACH]

RedGarnet222 10-17-2016 08:21 AM

I feel your pain tartan. I hate to get down on the floor to pin baste. My knees just won't take it anymore.

osewme 10-17-2016 09:14 AM

My knees are still ok for getting on the floor but it's my back that feels the pain the next day! I've never used glue on my quilts. I like the idea of the pool noodle to roll your quilt on. Lucky for you it's only a lap quilt & not a King Size. :)

dunster 10-17-2016 01:37 PM

The pain of basting was one of the main reasons I talked myself into getting a longarm. I can get down on my knees and scoot around the floor okay, but getting up again - that's the problem!

Cybrarian 10-17-2016 02:17 PM

I found fold in half 6 ft black folding tables at Walmart. Two of them we less than $70. They fold down to 3 ft and can go behind a piece of furniture, back of a closet etc. I bought them one at a time and I am very thankful-there are many problems with basting on the floor - accuracy being a big concern and I spray baste so over spray is a also a concern. I don't have room or $ for a long arm so DSM quilting is what I do - I'm going to learn to use rulers hopefully next summer when I have time to really work on it. Good luck with your lap quilt I am looking forward to seeing the pictures!

Tartan 10-17-2016 04:33 PM

Well live and learn, sigh. The backing is cotton broadcloth ( I thought ) but it must have some polyester in it because my Elmer's glue will not stick! Oh well, I muscled through the SITD between the blocks. I see it is going to be one of " those" quilts. A nightmare from beginning to end.

letawellman 10-17-2016 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by dunster (Post 7679344)
The pain of basting was one of the main reasons I talked myself into getting a longarm. I can get down on my knees and scoot around the floor okay, but getting up again - that's the problem!

This is EXACTLY me, Dunster!! Getting down is not a big deal... getting up again... well, let's just say that takes awhile!

I've had my longarm for about 6 years now, and never regretted it for even a second!! I was so tired of pleats and puckers and warps and wobbles on the back of my quilts, and I felt guilty paying a LA'er to finish my tops, that I finally found someone who would let me put a machine "on lay-away". It took me 2 years to get her paid for, but she was well worth it!
I have a handful of regular customers, but since I still have a "real" job, I'm not really pushing that too much right now. She has paid for herself in the number of quilts I have finished since I bought her, plus I've done several consignment quilts that I would not have tackled without having the longarm.

quiltingshorttimer 10-17-2016 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by dunster (Post 7679344)

once again Dunster, you speak for me!

Dina 10-17-2016 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 7679477)
Well live and learn, sigh. The backing is cotton broadcloth ( I thought ) but it must have some polyester in it because my Elmer's glue will not stick! Oh well, I muscled through the SITD between the blocks. I see it is going to be one of " those" quilts. A nightmare from beginning to end.

Oh dear! I am so sorry to hear the backing might have polyester in it. I have found that is a problem with too many of the broadcloth fabrics. I hope the nightmare i is over soon. I feel your pain.

Dina

rryder 10-18-2016 04:52 AM

I use my cutting table to baste my quilts. I just lay the backing fabric over the table, make sure it's smooth. Then I lay the batting, smoothing as I go. Then I lay the top, getting it smooth. Pin from the center out, checking for smoothness. When the part that's on the table is pinned, I slide off to get to another part. I check smoothness of the backing, batting and top on the new part and pin away. Works for me. Sometimes I will spray the backing before laying the batting on it, but I always pin the top unless it's a small quilt.

using this method, I don't have to get down on the floor, I can baste any size quilt I want and I've never had problems with puckers, pleats, etc. I do all my quilting on my DSM.

Rob