Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Let my mistake be your lesson (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/let-my-mistake-your-lesson-t183240.html)

loriea 03-20-2012 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by Drue (Post 5071532)
From experience...when you add inches (dimension) to a purse pattern, don't forget to add it to the lining. Whether it be length or width. If you are adding to the bottom, be sure to "ADJUST" your pocket lining so they don't end up in the bottom of the purse. You know that algebra that you took in high school that you said, "I'LL NEVER USE THIS IN REAL LIFE" ...guess what...if you sew, you'll eventually use it! I just doensized a pattern for a customer who wanted 3 throw sized quilts made from a queen sized quilt pattern I have....I had to down size it to 59%...appliques, blocks and all That meant I had to reduce block measurements by 41%...see! Math is not a bad thing! If you sew, you know!

Can I have my 8th grade algebra student call you ?:)

karate lady 03-20-2012 11:25 AM

I have been making a lot of bags lately and I use fabric for the lining that compliments the front, so it is ok if it shows when I open the bag a bit.

MacThayer 03-20-2012 12:28 PM

I'm not good with the math either. What I do is draw it all out on paper when changing the size of anything. I'll draw out a whole quilt, add all the changes in inches, add up the inches to come up with total fabric, make sure the length and width is calculated -- it all has to be right out in front of me before I'll even start. I started doing that after I started a new lap quilt with new sizes, left it for a bit, went back to it later, and went straight back to the original directions. It was a mess. And I didn't have enough fabric to fix it, so I had to "unseam" the blocks I did first, re-cut them to the smaller, original pattern size, re-sew them, and then add them to the rest of the top (yes, I finished the top with the original directions, never noticed I was doing it all wrong until I looked at the whole!) It took me forever to do what was supposed to be a quick top. After that fiasco, I draw out and create a new pattern when I want to change, and put away the old pattern, so I don't ever do this again!

I feel your pain!

nstitches4u 03-20-2012 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by pattypurple (Post 5071358)
I frequently add a strip of fabric, matching the outside, at the top of my linings. That way the lining doesn't peek out and become so visible.

That is a great idea! Why didn't I think of that?

Tollergirl 03-20-2012 11:40 PM

Thanks for inspiring me to tackle my first quilted bag!

Painiacs 03-21-2012 02:19 AM

Drue your phone might be ringing off the hook as I arm
Horrible at math! Ty lining idea!!!

DebJ 03-22-2012 09:45 AM

Drue there is only one problem I never had any algebra. I only did up to basic 9th grade math. However, I even use that more than I would have believe back then many moons ago. LOL You do what you need to do when you love to sew/quilt.

jljack 03-22-2012 10:07 AM

When I make bags, before sewing my lining together I do a measurement of the top edge, and from the top edge to the middle of the bottom piece of the shell. Then I sew the lining to those measurements. I always cut the lining a little larger than called for so I can make those adjustments.

Good idea about adding the matching strip to the top of the lining piece.

stchenfool 03-22-2012 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by SWEETPEACHES (Post 5070803)
I've been making bags bags bags. I had the bright idea to make one with a really wide bottom. Guess what, the lining didn't fit. It was too short. So I had to add a piece of fabric to the top of the lining to make it long enough. It came out fine but what a pain.
Don't do as I do.

Thanks for the advise, we all learn from our mistakes!