Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Let's encourage each other! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/lets-encourage-each-other-t219365.html)

leaha 06-28-2013 03:53 PM

Well said! I made a quilt with just a needle and thread, no machine at all, many were made that way, it's not the tools but the end result that counts!

kathdavis 06-28-2013 04:32 PM

Well said.

So sorry about your bad experience, TeresaS. Please don't judge this board by that one posting. Hopefully, you will give us another chance.

bearisgray 06-28-2013 04:49 PM

After reading all the comments - I have come to two conclusions.

1) it is what one does with a machine that matters more than what brand/make and model one is using

2) most of the people on this board are nice most of the time

BrendaK 06-28-2013 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by MimiBug123 (Post 6012779)
TeresaS, please don't let that experience discourage you or keep you away from this board. There are so many wonderful, caring people on here and truly want to help others. Some can't feel good about themselves unless they can put others down. Stick around and learn from those who really do care!

This remined me of something my sister said. I had worked hard to make her some pillow cases and a table runner with pot holders. When she got them she said that my work was so nice that she didn't want to show me anything of hers. She then told me that she and her husband really looked the table runner over trying to find some mistakes.
They pulled and tugged on the table runner and found what she said was a loose thread, that made her feel better. She said because she found a mistake in my work she could feel better about her work.
She has been quilting for a long time and I feel like I am still a newbie (about three years). I think that she was trying to be funny and nice with her comment but I lost all joy in the gift I gave her. I know that I am not as skilled as she is, but I still do ok. But it will be a long time before I quilt her anything else. She didn't want me to do better work than her's. We all do what we can with what we have. There will always be someone around who tries to make themselves feel better by making you feel worse. BrendaK

bearisgray 06-28-2013 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by BrendaK (Post 6149238)
This remined me of something my sister said. I had worked hard to make her some pillow cases and a table runner with pot holders. When she got them she said that my work was so nice that she didn't want to show me anything of hers. She then told me that she and her husband really looked the table runner over trying to find some mistakes.
They pulled and tugged on the table runner and found what she said was a loose thread, that made her feel better.
She has been quilting for a long time and I feel like I am still a newbie (about three years). I think that she was trying to be funny and nice with her comment but I lost all joy in the gift I gave her. I know that I am not as skilled as she is, but I still do ok. But it will be a long time before I quilt her anything else. She didn't want me to do better work than her's. We all do what we can with what we have. There will always be someone around who tries to make themselves feel better by making you feel worse. BrendaK

I think she was trying to tell you that you did an excellent job!

Painiacs 06-28-2013 07:01 PM

I agree was thinking the same the other day! My machines are old and straight stitch! The only mschine that does a few embroidery stitches is a cheap walmart machine but does the tricjpk when needed! Until i jammed it up the other day! Lol. i was wondering, do i need an embroidery foot? Walking foot? The tool? I live on ssdi! Then i thought yrs yrs yrs ago theydidnt have any fancy machines or gagdets! They are nice to have and the walking foot helps but not absolutely necessary! Yes some days i wish i had a machine that does the tension by itself but not required!!