Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Let's talk wonky quilts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/lets-talk-wonky-quilts-t194589.html)

Swan Song 07-14-2012 07:25 AM

Let's talk wonky quilts

I am planning Christmas presents and everyone was so helpful with my DS's GF's lap quilt planning I thought I might get some suggestions for my DS's. He is a skateboarder and I bought and stashed some skateboard fabric awhile ago. It has skateboarders doing tricks. The images are various sizes, kind of a tossed pattern.

Here's what I want to do I am hoping y'all have some suggestions on how to get there. I am going to fussy cut ( not my favorite thing to do, but I love the boy LOL) the skaters. Since they are various sizes I thought I could border the smaller images to get them to 1 size block. I want to turn them at various angles so the images are not straight because what skateboarder is ever straight? Is this making sense? I want them wonky. I thought I would use them on either side the center is going to be a brick pattern of stonehenge fabric that looks like concrete with a silhouette of a skater appliqued on it.

Here is my problem. I am not sure how to get those side blocks to be wonky. Turned at various angles. I have been searching around looking for a way to do it and short of buying 2 rulers no one seems to have a tute for it. Does anyone have a link to a tute or advice on how to accomplish it? The quilt is awesome in my mind if I can just get it out of there and on to fabric!

sewmom 07-14-2012 07:32 AM

I used a regular square ruler when i made a quilt with wonky type blocks. I marked on the ruler with tape to make sure they were all similar. I know some wonky blocks the sashing around the blocks are added first and then cut wonky. I think FandP did one and they added the skinny triangles to make it wonky. I hope this helps.

Chicca 07-14-2012 07:56 AM

Your idea sounds wonderful! I am sorry, but I have not done Wonky so I have no suggestions. I hope that you can get it figured out and share photos when you are finished.

mic-pa 07-14-2012 08:07 AM

I hope I can make sense, to make the sq wonky cut a rectangle longer than the length of the block then cut that from corner to corner (at an angle) then sew them on the sides of the block. If you go to www.quiltville.com she does a quilt called Happy Scrappy Houses and they are all wonky. This will give you an idea how it is done.

Swan Song 07-14-2012 08:38 AM

Thanks to you both that helps a lot. Now to see if my very ordered mind can do wonky! I will have to practice on something before I cut into the real thing. ;)

Tartan 07-14-2012 08:47 AM

I just use my large square to cut wonky blocks. If it is a sampler block,I add sashing strips all around the edges and then set my square on top of the block but turned to the angle I want. You can mark the angle with painter's tape to do them all the same or just do them all free hand. I see you have an idea in mind but Quiltmaker May/July 2012 issue had an amazing pattern for a skateboard quilt called Kickflip. The pattern was designed by Denise Starck and it is easy but cute. You might want to look at it for inspiration. I have set my issue aside because it has 2 patterns I want to try, the skateboard and the running shoes.

Swan Song 07-14-2012 09:14 AM

I saw that quilt. Really cute quilt! I am trying to use fabric from my stash. So far I have not been successful. I purchased a tonga treat for DS's GF's and guitar and pick fabric for DD's BFs. Everything for DD's I have in my stash YAY! This one I will only have to purchase the stonehenge but I might have something that I can use instead that will make it look like a brick wall. Just not sure I have enough. I will have to do the sides first and then work from there.

Patti25314 07-14-2012 09:17 AM

I LOVE your saying, "You haven't had enough coffee..." did you make that up?!? That's the best laugh I've had in a few days. Thanks.