Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   light applique over dark fabric - HELP (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/light-applique-over-dark-fabric-help-t92967.html)

Elisabrat 01-22-2011 07:32 PM

I have some navy with stars fabric that I want to applique snowmen on. However the blue shows through. How can I do this without the dark color bleeding through? Any advice much appreciated! I tried doubling the white but it moved on me and I couldnt keep them together correctly even with pins.

oatw13 01-22-2011 07:33 PM

Have you tried using a lightweight fusible interfacing to back the white?

DebraK 01-22-2011 07:34 PM

fuse the second layer, or just a little dot of washable glue in the right places?

Prism99 01-22-2011 07:40 PM

What kind of applique are you doing? Fusible, machine with turned-under edges, or hand applique with turned-under edges?

If fusible, I would fuse two pieces of the white together before cutting out the snowman.

If invisible machine applique with turned-under edges, there are a couple of possibilities. If it's freezer paper applique a la Harriet Hargrave, then I would applique the snowman as usual, cut away the backing fabric, and insert another cut-out snowman underneath, spray-basting to keep it in place. Be sure it's a dense enough white piece of fabric (doesn't have to be the same as the snowman).

If machine applique with satin stitch edging, either of the above methods would work.

If doing hand applique, I would cut out the white liner a little smaller than the original snowman and baste the two pieces together before appliqueing.

Edit: Oh! I like the idea of fusing an interfacing to the snowman too.

nursie76 01-22-2011 07:40 PM

I saw a product that came in several colors that fused to the back of the material to stop this, but I can't remember what it was called. What if you fused the layers of white together with wonder under. Then it wouldn't shift on you.

Does anyone remember what that applique interfacing stuff was called? I remember we discussed it on the board.

gale 01-22-2011 07:49 PM

I do two layers of the lighter fused together or if you're doing sewn applique you can cut the darker out behind the light after it's all sewn up.

Vicki W 01-22-2011 07:53 PM

Might be a good idea to attach a photo of the problem so others can see to help

happyscrappy 01-22-2011 08:29 PM

instead of using plain white fabric, did you consider using cotton batting, or there is a type of insulate lining that is sold in the interfacing section of fabric stores, i forget exactly what it is called. i have appliqued snowmen using both, and they turn out very well. also give dimension to the snowmen.

sharon b 01-22-2011 08:31 PM

I went to my LQS and they had something that I fused to the back of the white and then used my Heat n Bond on top of that and it kept the dark color from coming thru - wish I could tell you the name - but I do remember it was more for sewing - maybe ask at your LQS ?

sewwhat85 01-22-2011 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by oatw13
Have you tried using a lightweight fusible interfacing to back the white?

this is what i would try