Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Light blue backing for red and white quilt top? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/light-blue-backing-red-white-quilt-top-t248087.html)

pyffer3 06-07-2014 06:37 PM

Light blue backing for red and white quilt top?

1 Attachment(s)
My daughter is getting married and her colors are red, blue (a sky type blue) and white. I finished this top and can't find a red(don't have enough of what's in the top) and to me a white just wouldn't look good for the backing so I was thinking of a light blue? Then bind with the same red border color? Any thoughts?

dakotamaid 06-07-2014 08:53 PM

In my opinion sky blue would be lovely. Of course you could always go for a red pattern with white background also. Very pretty quilt! :)

gsbuffalo 06-08-2014 02:42 AM

that is beautiful

Barb in Louisiana 06-08-2014 03:13 AM

Quilting is such a personal craft. What I may like or consider good, may make someone else go "Yuk!"

I like my front & back of quilts to talk to each other nicely. Having said that, there is no blue on the front, so if the corner of the quilt were to turn down showing the back and it was blue, it would be jarring to me. Of course, you could always applique some bluebirds or flowers or something, on the front and bring the blue to the top.

If you don't want to add the applique, I probably would go with a red and white print for the back, if you could find one that was similar to one of the reds on the front, or go with a solid red and quilt it with white thread. That would make the back a whole cloth quilt. Even if you use a panto, the effects are still stunning when the thread contrasts with a solid color backing.

Good job on the Dresdens. I have 360 of them made up for "Meet me in Paris" and just need to get the quilt put together. One of my many UFO's that I plan to address this summer while my husband is recovering from back surgery.

charlottequilts 06-08-2014 04:23 AM

How about a white with tiny red pinstripes? I'm thinking "shirting," not circus.

hugs,
Charlotte

KLO 06-08-2014 05:45 AM

Maybe you could find a red, white, and blue print that would take care of all your needs .... it would go with the red and white on the front but still have a bit of blue in it for the daughter's color wants?

nativetexan 06-08-2014 06:05 AM

red, white and blue go together just fine. just be sure the blue doesn't show through your white or make it look dull.

ManiacQuilter2 06-08-2014 06:19 AM

I don't see any blue in the quilt. Are you going to hand quilt or machine quilt?? That usually helps me select a backing. If you are hand quilting it, I would use the same fabric as the background so you hand stitches would show. Otherwise, I would go looking on the internet or your LQS for a coordinating fabric that would coordinate with the fabric you used in the front. Your daughter is going to treasure this quilt probably for her entire life. I would use the same fabric in your sashing for the binding too.

Terri D. 06-08-2014 07:45 AM

I agree that a solid white would not work, yet sky blue seems overpowering. How about white with a red dot or a blue dot?

charsuewilson 06-08-2014 08:15 AM

Sky blue would be great. You would need the red binding, though. And echo quilting coming through to the back would be a nice design.