Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Light box (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/light-box-t19977.html)

collettakay 05-11-2009 11:55 AM

What kind of light box do you use? Did you buy it, make it, etc? I'm going to be starting an applique BOM called Baltimore Bliss at www.fatcatpatterns.com and think a light box would make it a lot easier. What do you think?

dillysnana 05-11-2009 12:00 PM

I bought one at Michaels craft store with a Joanns coupon. It's 11x12 but I wish it was bigger. I use it all the time. Also I bought a under the counter light at Walmart that you could hang on the wall and put that under a plastic storage bin to use as a light box. I do a lot of applique work and lately have been using acetate sheets to trace the designs with sharpie markers.

Maride 05-11-2009 12:37 PM

I turn my floor model ott light upside down into the well of my sewing table and put a piece of glass on top. It works great.

Maria

Izy 05-11-2009 12:50 PM

I have several very conveniently place around the house...they are known as 'windows' lol!! I just use a little bit of tape to hold everything up nice and steady and get tracing lol!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

CindyBee 05-11-2009 01:08 PM

I haven't felt the need for a light box, but I like the window suggestion!

genghis khan 05-11-2009 01:10 PM

I used to work for a sign shop locally here and i have some material called lexan its used for illuminated sign faces typically but it works so well for what your talking about if you or someone you know is handy with tools it might be worth paying a visit to a local sign shop in your area and building something with this wonderful material usually its a 1/4" thick and stands up to alot of use i also use some for a cutting surface and its very gentle on my rotary cutter blades hope this helps or inspires an idea. Chris

AtHomeSewing 05-11-2009 01:17 PM

I bought a large one years ago from an art store, thankfully I still have it. Now they cost close to $200 for that size.

My friend uses a drawer from her cutting table. She opens the drawer, puts a foldable Ott lamp in it, then a piece of plexiglass over the drawer sides. Works fine. Any box that you can get a light source into, and then place glass or plastic over the top will work. Or, you can buy one for the cost of a bolt of fabric from an art store!

Bill'sBonBon 05-11-2009 01:52 PM

I have a plexi glass table extention for my machine. I learned I could turn my light on its side and scoot it under and it works like a charm. Traced the 3 crayon quilts,dino's,pixies,sports that way.
BillsBonBon

BellaBoo 05-11-2009 02:24 PM

The toy dept. is a great place to look for inexpensive light box.

CindyBee 05-11-2009 02:26 PM

[quote=Bill'sBonBon]I have a plexi glass table extention for my machine. I learned I could turn my light on its side and scoot it under and it works like a charm. Traced the 3 crayon quilts,dino's,pixies,sports that way.
BillsBonBon[/q
Another good idea!