Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Light boxes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/light-boxes-t190795.html)

Beebee 06-04-2012 08:54 AM

Light boxes

I am thinking of trying applique needle turning...lol...this should be a quest. I see I need a light box and not being sure I will be able to do this craft, I do not want to spend so much on a light box..Remember the old saying ladies..."Necessity is the mother of invention"...well right now I am going to try a 9x11 clear baking dish turned upside down with a christmas candle beneath...Do you think it will work?? I will let you know, meanwhile does anyone have any bright ideas?? Thanks

mike'sgirl 06-04-2012 08:59 AM

I saw this tip on Fons and Porter Love of Quilting show the other day. Take a clear plastic box, and one of those tap lights. They look like a dome, and you push down and it lights up. Battery operated. I have never tried it, but I eventually will. Let us know if you do. Gina

romanojg 06-04-2012 09:19 AM

I use a battery operated light in a plastic box. I heard one lady took the leaf out of her table and put a piece of glass over the opening and put a lamp under her table; instant light box. There are all kinds of ways to save money; including doing what we did as kids; hold it up to the window.

feline fanatic 06-04-2012 09:24 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is how I improvised one using a clear tote and small light fixture you can pick up at any walmart.[ATTACH=CONFIG]339868[/ATTACH]

DonnaC 06-04-2012 09:29 AM

I use the same type of long, skinny light as feline fanatic does, only I put it in the drop-down part of my sewing machine table, with a clear piece of glass over it (like, from a picture frame). I have a Gidget table so it's easy to just pull out the machine and use that space for tracing. It's a small area but so far, so good!

SewSassy 06-04-2012 09:33 AM

I used an old storm window over 4 large cans of tomatoes....with a shop light underneath

yngldy 06-04-2012 09:54 AM

Battery operated light is the way to go if you want to use a light box. I would think a candle would make the glass hot, not to mention that if you put the dish directly over the candle, without an air source, the candle will burn out. Personally, I don't use a light box unless the pattern used has very light lines. Most all the patterns in magazines, or store bought, have very dark lines. All you have to do is put the fabric over the lines and trace a fine line on the fabric for placement or as part of the applique itself. If the fabric is dark and cannot be seen thru, then I make a copy of the shape, cut it out and put in on the fabric and cut the fabric shape, with or without an allowance for turning. Good luck and enjoy your journey!

grammatjr 06-04-2012 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by Beebee (Post 5264746)
I am thinking of trying applique needle turning...lol...this should be a quest. I see I need a light box and not being sure I will be able to do this craft, I do not want to spend so much on a light box..Remember the old saying ladies..."Necessity is the mother of invention"...well right now I am going to try a 9x11 clear baking dish turned upside down with a christmas candle beneath...Do you think it will work?? I will let you know, meanwhile does anyone have any bright ideas?? Thanks

How big of workspace do you want? How about setting a light under your acrylic extension table for your sewing machine? I do that, and it works great.

NJ Quilter 06-04-2012 02:04 PM

DH made up one for me out of scraps lying around and a bare light bulb mounted onto one of the side pieces. But I was going to suggest the window trick as well until you find that this is something you want to do lots of.

JustAbitCrazy 06-04-2012 02:51 PM

My dh made me one years ago, too, with scrap lumber and fluorescent tube lights---it's awesome! Heavy, but awesome!. I have also heard of people pulling the dining room table halves apart and putting a piece of glass over the opening, with a table lamp on the floor underneath.