Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Light boxes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/light-boxes-t69354.html)

Rita's mom 10-10-2010 08:46 AM

First I just wanted to say how much I love this board!!! Everyone is so nice and so willing to help others and share all of their ideas and wisdom. I am fairly new here so I don't know if this is already old news, but when I went to the local quilt show the other day a lady at one of the booths was selling a wax for the acrylic sewing tables that fit around your sewing machine to raise up a flat area around your machine and reduce drag on what ever you are quilting. (sorry I have had mine so long I'm not sure what is called anymore) anyway she also slid one of the round halogen tap lights under the table and tapped it to turn it on. It made a perfect light box if you need to trace something for applique it worked perfectly and wouldn't take up a lot of space to store like a light box would. I think they sell the lights at Lowes and Home Depot maybe even Harbor Frieght! I love the carpet blade hint! I now have 3 pkgs. :thumbup: Just thought I would put that out there and see if anyone else has heard of this. :-)

quilt queen 2 10-10-2010 09:25 AM

Thanks for the tip I will try it out I have been using an old picture frame inverted with a light from a christmas house under it as a light box. I have to keep moving the light as it gets quite warm. Will get one of these lights as I just tried it with a regular push light and it worked but the halogen would make it much brighter.Great idea!

amma 10-10-2010 09:36 AM

Thank you for sharing this tip :D:D:D

spinnergs 10-10-2010 10:03 AM

My husband made my lightbox years ago. It was originally for my stained glass work but now does my quilt projects. It is just four sides and a bottom with a routered channel at the top to hold the clear plexiglass top. The light is just one of the on/off florescent ones for under a cabinet.

M.E.H. 10-10-2010 10:08 AM

OH!! I like this idea!!

janRN 10-10-2010 10:31 AM

I have a light box that I've had since I was 7 years old!!! It's a Betsy McCall Fashion Doll set. Has anyone ever heard of this? You designed clothes for Betsy and used the pink plastic light box. And get this: it still has the ORIGINAL light bulb in it!! I'm sure it wouldn't be considered safe for today's kid's market. Since I'm an antique and still work I guess I shouldn't be surprised that this antique still works LOL!!

Darlene 10-10-2010 10:35 AM

I got a light box at Joann's for $14.95 - 40% off coupon I love it.

seabolt22 10-10-2010 12:11 PM

Try a small reading light, one that clips to the book. Small gives off lots of light and does not get hot. Can be found ay $ store or Walmarts 1-3$.

sewingladydi 10-10-2010 12:37 PM

i've got a glass topped coffee table and use that for my light box! just stick a small lamp under it.