Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Light weight coverlet quilt??? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/light-weight-coverlet-quilt-t264546.html)

spartan quilter 04-27-2015 11:20 AM

Light weight coverlet quilt???

I am beginning to have grands who are graduating from college. They have all gotten quilts from me that are very warm, with batting, and fleece backing, since we are in the northern clime, and it is cold in winter. Now they are asking if I could do a light weight quilt for their summer beds. I have no problem with that, but am not sure if just the quilt top and cotton backing will quilt well. I do not do heavy quilting, since I do all my own quilting and just on my sewing machine. Do I still need to use something like flannel for a batting or would it be heavy enough without any batting? Does anyone have any suggestions? I welcome any and all ideas, and thank you for replying.

azwendyg 04-27-2015 11:27 AM

Flannel is an option for a lightweight quilt, just be sure to preshrink it unless you are going for a very puckered look. I also think the 80/20% batting blends make a nice lightweight quilt. I'd even consider a THIN wool batting because it is so breathable.

PaperPrincess 04-27-2015 11:27 AM

You can make a 'summer quilt' just the top and backing no batting. Many folks use flannel for the backing, if you do, be sure to pre wash.

ManiacQuilter2 04-27-2015 02:28 PM

I never made a summer quilt but I just would try making a quilt with no batting.

Eva Knight 04-27-2015 02:49 PM

You can buy batting that is for summer quilts. I order some from JAF not long ago. It is cotton and bamboo. Don't remember the %. Have made one quilt with and I like it. The quilt is very light weight, a queen size. I do the quilt as you go method, and had no problems with it. Maybe Google batting for summer or light weight quilts and see what you can find.

sewbelle52 04-27-2015 04:17 PM

I just took a class in Paducah from an Australian quilter. Granted, she was talking about EPP but don't know why her thoughts on this wouldn't cross over to pieced coverlets. She said that most Australian people who EPP, make coverlets using no batting and that the two layers after a little use just stick together and don't shift so that no quilting is needed. Boy that was music to my ears to know that after hand sewing (250) 6-pointed stars, I won't be quilting it too!! I've wanted to make a summer coverlet using one of Eleanor Burns' patterns for several years. Sounds practical for sitting out on the porch in summer evenings.

francie yuhas 04-27-2015 04:53 PM

I'll bet if you made a quilt top and backed it with light weight fleece it would work.

lynnie 04-27-2015 08:49 PM

my bed quilt is a top back and a thin batt. we use it summer or winter and it's just great
when it went down to the single digits, I put another quilt on. Otherwise, this is find.
I get the fleece on the bolt by the interfacings for most of my quilting. good luck

IowaStitcher 04-28-2015 04:13 AM

I have a couple summer coverlets made by my grandmother (so they are ~70 years old). They are only a pieced top and a backing. Also, the idea of using fleece would be great. I have done these for our couch throws and they are just right. Don't have to do a lot of quilting or can just tie them.

quiltsRfun 04-28-2015 04:01 PM

Wouldn't fleece would be pretty warm?