Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Lightweight sewing machine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/lightweight-sewing-machine-t319966.html)

Zinda 01-24-2023 03:03 AM

Lightweight sewing machine

I'm looking for a lightweight sewing machine. While I would love a Featherweight, I don't know enough about what to look for and am fearful of all the scammers out there. I realize I would like to get together to sew for community quilts, but stop going because all of my sewing machines are getting too heavy for me to lift in/out of the car and to lift onto a table. Any recommendations?

rjwilder 01-24-2023 04:10 AM

Look for a small Brother machine at Walmart, Target, Amazon, I've seen then at Costco and Sam's also. I'm not sure if all JoAnn stores sell them bit they used to, I think they sell Singer now. Just about everyone in my Guild have these because they are very light weight.

eparys 01-24-2023 05:00 AM

Years ago when I was on this search myself, I purchased a Brother CXi 6000 used, It was light weight and actually had a decent stitch, was very inexpensive and small. I used it for classes and get togethers. I found a Featherweight a few years later and now use that. Here are my upsides and downsides of both - Both have limited harp areas so not (imho) appropriate for let say a free motion quilting class,

CXi6000 .... cheaper, new, lots of stitches, a "small table" for a flat surface, electronic, light .... but you get what you pay for imho it is made cheaply. I used it for piecing only
Featherweight .... Tried and true, sturdy, easily fixable, great stitch, light weight, small, sturdy fold down flat surface .... but it is straight stitch forward and back only.

My recommendations would depend on what you type of classes you take. If you are quilting and just want to piece blocks when away from your home I would say look for a featherweight If you are interested in buttonholes, zigzag, and other stitches then you need to look elsewhere. And of course, it is all about the $$ - ie what is your budget? There are a lot of good smaller lightweight machines out there (I am sure others will chime in with their thoughts). All the major manufacturers have smaller lightweight machines if you are looking for new, I would also keep an eye out for used machines - you might find one at a dealer that even includes classes and warranty. All my machines (except for my longarm) have been purchased off of Craigslist.

As far as a featherweight - if it runs smoothly and the light, bobbin winder and reverse work you should be good!! They are easily oiled and greased and most sewing machine places will fix them, While I have the original foot peddle for mine - I purchased a new foot control as I could never get the hang of the older style, Parts are easily replaced and available as well as lots of expert folks to help. As with anything, if you are purchasing used, make sure you try it out - bring fabric pieces with you, try all the options (including the bobbin winder) !! Good luck with your search.

Stitchnripper 01-24-2023 05:18 AM

I have two featherweights but my recommendation is a Brother machine. I have several basic ones - one at home and one at daughter in laws house. They work straight out of the box and are not finicky

Onebyone 01-24-2023 05:50 AM

I would buy a Janome Jem. Portable and lightweight. I still have mine from over thirty years ago. Straight and zigzag, very basic but has never given me a problem There are different models of the Jem now each one with with different features.

Austinite 01-24-2023 06:46 AM

my lightweight is a Janome 2222, great machine for beginners or classes, basic but not super basic and not heavy.

Lady Diana 01-24-2023 10:38 AM

Janome 3160 -12 lbs or 4120 -15 lbs.I have the 3160. Kenssewing.com has one from quilt show .....normally 649......bet they will take off $100. They have free shippjng and no tax.No affiliation, just purchased alot from them.

MawMaw B 01-24-2023 11:40 AM

My every day and travel sewing machine is the 6000 Brother. I've had it about 10 years and it is still going strong! I sew on it almost every day and take it to guild meetings. It's lightweight and I really like it. Haven't had any major problems. Only user errors! I got mine from Amazon. Started sewing on it out of the box.

Maire 01-28-2023 04:46 PM

All the recommendations here for Janome or Brother are what I was going to say. I have a lightweight Brother & lightweight
Janome Jem 760 (no longer made). love both equally. I also have Janome Jem Gold at my daughter's that is wonderful and a great starter machine for children, very sturdy and easy to use.

GregB 01-29-2023 02:05 AM

Lightweight sewing machine

I use a Janome 3160 for all classes that I take. Have also gone to classes and community sewing with it. Nice an light ( I have back issues) so I needed a machine that was under 20lbs. The machine does everything I ask of it, with no complicates.