Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Likes/Dislikes in quilt shops (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/likes-dislikes-quilt-shops-t90887.html)

littlelambseativy 01-15-2011 05:53 PM

I'm going to open a can of worms, here. We're looking into opening a small quilt shop in our small town. In a nutshell, can you quilters tell me what are your likes/dislikes? Thanks!

craftybear 01-15-2011 06:00 PM

friendly employees, lots of classes, clearance section, fat quarters 25 for $30.00 one of the quilt shops I go to has them on sale the 25th of each month

jodimarie 01-15-2011 06:00 PM

business that do not keep regular hours....unless an emergency( bad weather, illness, broken furance etc...) comes up, a business should keep regular hours that are posted on the door. as a shopper, there is nothing worse than going to a LQS and finding they closed 30 minutes early....grrrrrrrrrr

jodi in leavenworth

Quiltforme 01-15-2011 06:01 PM

I like the one on one service but not the stuck up snob who is there because she needs a hobby but no a job. The one who will do her own thing and ignore the customer. The classes that are useful not just what some think we want. Classes like how to actually use FMQ not stitch in the ditch.

dakotamaid 01-15-2011 06:01 PM

Lots and lots of sewn samples
Cheerful faces'
Kits
Good assortment of patterns and tools
Carts

knlsmith 01-15-2011 06:03 PM

There is an LQS where if the owner is in there she always has to conplain about lack of money one time. Don't even go there any more. Hate snotty workers. Just because I'm wearing a ball cap and sweats doesn't mean I can't afford to be there... Maybe I'm just relaxing or in a hurry.

What I like to hear is laughter, helpful tips, classes at all hours of the day and on weekends. Later hours a day or 2 a week. The $5/yard corner too!

My favorite that I see a lot is a couple of chairs by a window or the front door for husbands that get bored. Mine doesn't because he's too busy helping me pick things out and carrying bolts. :)

rivka 01-15-2011 06:03 PM

Friendliness to younger people, or those that you might not expect to be quilters! I hate walking into a quilt store, and being stared at by the older women like I'm some kind of freak.

kwendt 01-15-2011 06:07 PM

Ohhh! Good Question!
1. Friendliness, down-to-earth people working there that love to help and get enthused over one's projects.
2. It's also nice when someone looks up and smiles at you when you first walk in the door, even if they are busy and cannot get to you right away, they've acknowledge that they've seen you. Bonus points if they look up, smile AND welcome you by name then go back to whatever they're doing.
3. Personally, I like to see a lot of different types of samples, colorways, etc. While Thimbleberries 'country' is a nice look, it gets boring after a while. A nice cross-section of styles, colors, quilts, options hanging on the walls and put on display get my creative 'juices' a going...
4. Sale racks, sale kits, sale things. Give aways. Freebies. Free demos' on how to use notions, etc.
5. A big back room with 8' tables for classes - or for local quilters like me who do not have the space available to spray baste, pin baste or thread baste a large quilt. Nice when I can call ahead, making sure that there's nothing else going on... and can come over and lay things out. Even get some help!
6. Dinner classes....potlucks... slumber parties... quilt-til-you-wilt events. Fun things!

knlsmith 01-15-2011 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by rivka
Friendliness to younger people, or those that you might not expect to be quilters! I hate walking into a quilt store, and being stared at by the older women like I'm some kind of freak.

OMG!!! You are so right! Just because I'm younger and driver a H3 instead of a mini van doesn't mean I can't sew! And yes... I have tattoos too!

scrappydoo 01-15-2011 06:09 PM

My husband says, a 10% discount for every quilter that drags their "significant other" to the store!