Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   On- Line Vs Local Quilt Shop (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/line-vs-local-quilt-shop-t113381.html)

Lori S 04-04-2011 05:18 AM

This past year has had more price increases for fabric than I think any of us have ever experienced.
I considered myself commited to support local businesses , expecially my LQS, but have found myself faced with prices over $12.50 per yard ... with a shrinking wallet ... I admit in the last year.. even more in the last 6 months more of my purchases have been on-line than all of the previous years combined. It is a fact I am almost embarrased to have to admit , since I feel a sense of betrayal , in not supporting my local.
My question is ....
In the last year ... or maybe even 6 months have you spent more of your fabric $$ on- line than in the past? and if it has what has caused the increase of on-line? Price , convieniece , selection?

MTS 04-04-2011 05:24 AM

100% online - convenience and selection.

SherriB 04-04-2011 05:28 AM

I buy most of my fabric on-line. I can find a better selection and price vs the LQS, Hancocks, Hobby Lobby,etc. I often get free shipping, which is a bonus. And considering the price of gas, it is still cheaper to pay shipping.

bj 04-04-2011 05:29 AM

I look a lot online, but I try to purchase at the local shops. The only thing I buy online, almost exclusively, is fatbacks. The shops here don't carry a very big selection of those.

CarrieAnne 04-04-2011 05:31 AM

I would say about half.....I LOVE going to the LQS's to see whats new, feel all the fabrics, ect. But I buy alot her now, and then theres Connecting threads which gets a nice chunk, and a few others............

feline fanatic 04-04-2011 05:49 AM

On Line. But truth be told I only discovered the joys of on line fabric shopping in the past year. I shop on line for convenience and price. Having it delivered to my door is a bonus and it is like Christmas whenever I receive a package.

dragonflyxlx 04-04-2011 05:58 AM

I am only recently back to quilting, but I have spent a bundle quickly on current and future projects. I think I have spent more online but not by much. The fabrics I purchased online were things that I had fallen in love with and are not in my LQS's because they are not being printed at this time. I have two LQS's within 30min of me. One of them has a very sad story to tell, although she has a great following the landlord raised the rent to an unbelievable amount, and she will be moving in August because business does not support being able to stay there. I try to support this shop the most recently. I would have to say that as far as prices go her shop is the most economical. But each of the two has a different style and something different to offer.

CloverPatch 04-04-2011 06:01 AM

I don't like surprises. I like to touch my fabric before buying, so I will not buy anything "new" online. If I already know the fabric then I will buy online. Otherwise I go to the store.

susiequilt 04-04-2011 06:03 AM

On line, on sale! Lots of great sales on line if you take advantage of them. I haven't been in a LQS for a long time. :oops: It's 40 min away and round trip gas is a couple of gallons!
Also trying hard NOT to buy anything and to use what I have!

kapatt 04-04-2011 06:06 AM

I do both but when I buy locally, I only shop for buys. I use coupons (if available) and one of my favorite shops has (twice a year) a 40% off on all fabric sale for about 4 days. You can imagine that I save up my pennies to shop at her shop during that time.