Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   lining position seam (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/lining-position-seam-t634.html)

cheffer45 02-26-2007 06:49 AM

Should I position my quilt back lining seam on the center back of my quilt or off center it? I would have more fabric left to use for something else if I off centered it but would it look right? The quilt top is not a large one; only 72 1/2 by 57 1/2. Appreciate your advice.
Carol

Knot Sew 02-26-2007 07:02 AM

I usually put mine on the width. It's an indivudal thing. some people take pieces from their stash and piece the back., some use sheets, on mine every quilt is different. :P there is no hard and fast rule

patricej 02-26-2007 07:02 AM

centered will look just fine as long as you lay it out to get a fairly straight vertical (or horizontal) line. if that's the method that leaves you the most re-usable fabric, that's the method that gets my vote. :-)

rely on your own judgement. i'll bet it's better than you give yourself credit for.
;-)

k_jupiter 02-26-2007 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by cheffer45
Should I position my quilt back lining seam on the center back of my quilt or off center it? I would have more fabric left to use for something else if I off centered it but would it look right? The quilt top is not a large one; only 72 1/2 by 57 1/2. Appreciate your advice.
Carol

Here is how I would do it...

I would cut the wide piece the width of the narrow piece plus 1/2 inch. I would then sew those piece back together. Now add the narrow piece. You should now have two seams equidistant from the center and lots of fabric from the narrow piece left over.

But... what do I know?

tim in san jose

Norah 02-26-2007 07:36 AM

I would position it to save the most fabric in one piece. Off center seams may not be asthetically pleasing, but once you get it quilted, the seam usually doesn't show up much. And unless it is a show piece, what does it matter where the seam is. Quilts were originally made utilizing the fabric to the utmost. That is why they were pieced scraps in the first place. That's my humble opinion, and I am sticking to it. :roll:

patricej 02-26-2007 08:29 AM

you know how to do things the hard way, sweetie-pie. that's what.

ROFLMBO

:wink:

k_jupiter 02-26-2007 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
you know how to do things the hard way, sweetie-pie. that's what.

ROFLMBO

:wink:

You expect me to deny that?

I analyzed what cheffer wanted to do, I synthesized a solution, made a proposal. We both know I am just a newby, so take any advice with a grain of salt.

tim in san jose

kathy 02-26-2007 08:41 AM

please pass the salt

cheffer45 02-26-2007 10:25 AM

Thanks for all the ideas. Sounds like any way I choose to put it; it would be o.k. I did not know if there was a correct and incorrect way but as long as it suits me then it will be correct. I really do appreciate all of the input.
Carol :D

Norah 02-26-2007 01:58 PM

Carol, now you got the idea, although I do have to bow to Tim. He is the guru.