Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   lining up sashing (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/lining-up-sashing-t171454.html)

carrieg 12-11-2011 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by ruthrings (Post 4768659)
Thank you all so much. I'm sitting here wondering, Why didn't I think of that??? I'm sure I'll do better now!

This board is great for advice!

Pam1111 12-11-2011 07:44 AM

It so nice when someone asks for tips or help and the response comes with some excellent pictures demonstrating the process. i so appreciate that as someone who is always looking to improve technique. I too struggles with sashing strips. THANKS!!!!

catmcclure 12-11-2011 09:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by catmcclure (Post 4771108)
I find it easier to put sashing on each block before joining the blocks, but only one two sides. I cut my sashing strips on the lengthwise grain so there isn't as much "give". If you put the sashing on this way the sashing becomes part of each block and the points will match. I start out at the bottom left block on my quilt and work my way to the top right. The last row of blocks on the right side only gets sashing on the top of the block. The top row only get a short sashing strip on the right side. The top right block gets no sashing. Then I put a narrow border around the blocks.

I've tried to post a jpeg, but can't seem to figure out how.

Finally figured out posting photo: [ATTACH=CONFIG]294761[/ATTACH]

charlie 1940 12-11-2011 09:10 AM

I forget exactly where I first saw it, but I sash each block and then put the blocks together. You have to layout your top on paper to see which block gets which sashing, but when you have done a couple, you have it down pat and can do it quickly. You will see that each row starting from the bottom, gets sashed on the bottom and on one side. The one end block gets sashed on both side. The top row gets sashed on the top, the bottom and one side. Only the final corner block gets sashed on all four sides. Then you just sew your blocks into rows and sew your rows to make the top. You are able to cut the strips for your sashing on the length of grain, making them more stable and each one is the correct length for the block.

Charlie

cheryl222 12-11-2011 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish (Post 4765734)
I use either cornerstones (the little blocks at each sashing intersection) OR I sash each individual block instead. It's MUCH easier to do this instead of dealing with all those long strips. Divide your desired sash width by 2, add seam allowances, and sew onto each block. Then sew the blocks together in rows.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]294300[/ATTACH]

OOOOOH - I love your OBW! Was it made from one fabric or more than one? BEAUTIFUL!!!!

Peckish 12-11-2011 10:01 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by cheryl222 (Post 4771801)
OOOOOH - I love your OBW! Was it made from one fabric or more than one? BEAUTIFUL!!!!

Thank you, it's actually not mine, it was made by a friend. I will pass your compliment on to her!

It's actually not a OBW, it's a pattern called Florentine Fantasy. You do use just one fabric for the blocks. Here is another version that another friend of mine made. In this picture you can see the original parent fabric in the border. When she was done with the blocks, she sewed a border of green around each block to make them pop.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]294765[/ATTACH]

sewingb 12-11-2011 03:37 PM

I loved all the good replies. Thanks:thumbup:

quiltingnonie 12-11-2011 07:53 PM

I just did one the other day, and was having the same problem, although I don't recall having that much of a problem in the past! (Every quilt has it's own quirks) So I did the marking on the long horizontal strip, as Kitsie showed us above. Then when I was sewing, I switched the stitch length to baste when I came to that section. After checking to see if it all lined up, I went back and stitched the basted areas. If it didn't, well, it was easy to remove the basting stitches to realign.

katesnanna 12-11-2011 08:21 PM

I do it the same way as Kitsie. She has even provided a mini tutorial for you. Save this page for future reference.

Good on you Kitsie. Very clear instruction.

SandyQuilter 12-12-2011 06:47 AM

Work it out on paper first. Cut a strip the width of the sashing and several blocks long. Mark each block and the intersections. Transfer these marking to your sashing and you'll be accurate. Just move the template down the sashing as you mark. Easier to do this, then you'll not make any mistakes on your fabric by just marking the fabric using a ruler.
SandyQuilter