Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   The Lint in My Machine OH MY!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/lint-my-machine-oh-my-t47561.html)

janb 05-31-2010 07:40 AM

This is so timely for me...I have been getting lint blobs and now I know how to take care of it. Gosh, I love being able to learn from all you gals...

tooMuchFabric 05-31-2010 09:26 AM

I've gotten into the habit of cleaning out the lint-trap areas every time I have to put in a new bobbin.

ToucanSam 05-31-2010 09:28 AM

Glad for the reminder, too!!!

Sewslow 05-31-2010 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by seamstome
It's almost embarrassing to see all that lint, isnt it? Kind of like looking under the refrigerator.

Glad I'm not alone. Repairman called to check for a suspected leak (refrigerator wedged in too tight for us to move). He assured us there was no leak underneath, tactfully expressing it as "the dust wasn't disturbed." I was a little hurt since I have "disturbed" it by jabbing around with a fabric-wrapped yardstick a few times since our son moved it out two years ago.

EasyPeezy 05-31-2010 09:37 AM

I use a small paint brush too. I've been tempted to use canned air or
vacuum but after reading a few things about those I'd rather not. It only
takes a few minutes anyway. I also noticed that those pre-cuts (jelly rolls,
etc) create a LOT of lint. So clean more often than you think. :D

Marlys 05-31-2010 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by seamstome
It's almost embarrassing to see all that lint, isnt it? Kind of like looking under the refrigerator.

We are supposed to look under the refrigerator??? I only make it into the refrigerator!

damaquilts 05-31-2010 09:45 AM

And under the stove??? lol

Phyl 05-31-2010 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by CajunQuilter2
A few days ago I read a post on here about cleaning out our machine. Well today as I was zooming along on a binding for a quilt my DH wants to give to a co-worker whos wife had a baby my machine started acting up. So I tried to do the usual lint cleaning but it still would just not work right. I remembered them saying to take either the back or bottom off, well, mine is on the side. Lordy me.....and then I realized also that I had jammed some of that lint onto that wheel while trying to get it out.......If I had taken a picture I guarantee you it would have been a whole hand full of lint and that is no exageration. I am still trying to get some of it out but can tell a big difference already. I think I am gonna have to go get that canned air to be able to get the rest out. Told DH I probably just saved him about $100...........

I've been warned NOT to use the canned air as it blows the lint further IN to the machine. Try a small vacuum hose to get it OUT of the machine more easily!!!

Pam 05-31-2010 02:03 PM

Glad I'm not alone. Repairman called to check for a suspected leak (refrigerator wedged in too tight for us to move). He assured us there was no leak underneath, tactfully expressing it as "the dust wasn't disturbed." I was a little hurt since I have "disturbed" it by jabbing around with a fabric-wrapped yardstick a few times since our son moved it out two years ago.[/quote]

My Mom gave me a shirt that says "What rolls under the fridge, stays under the fridge" She is more worried about my dust than I am!

Tiffany 05-31-2010 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by applique
I've tried other 100% cotton thread (including Aurofil), but always go back to Mettler 30 wt. for satin stitching. Putting in 6 to 8 hours a day teaches you real fast which thread is best for the task!

I've never tried the Mettler 30 wt. I'll have to make a note to try it with satin stitching. Thank you for the suggestion!

Sally Collins passed around the thread she uses in one of her classes and it was a DMC embroidery thread. It was amazing. It had the same tensile strength as the aurofil I love but was just a smidge thinner, which would be great for piecing and getting those perfect quarter inch seams. I need to buy some and try it out.

I get aurofil from a LQS. A group of us kept bugging her to carry it. She finally did and I was lucky enough to go in the day after she got it and pick up a bunch. She had them marked down at her wholesale price (which is $5 cheaper than it is now). I made sure to spread the word and she was surprised at how quickly her stock ran out. She doesn't carry any colors though and I love using it for hand applique. It literally hand sews like silk. I'll have to find a good place online that carries it without charging a fortune. If you want to try it, Keepsake quilting sells a package with several different piecing colors (tan, neutral, black, white). If you don't want to buy the entire pack, get several friends together and split the pack and the price. I know sometimes paying $35 to try out a new thread can seem a bit extreme, but if you break that up with several other quilters it isn't so bad.