Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Lip for Quilting Ruler (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/lip-quilting-ruler-t323050.html)

abc123xyz 03-14-2024 02:53 PM

Lip for Quilting Ruler

Does anyone use a lip that can be attached to a quilting ruler to give extra stability when using your rotary cutter? I have a ruler that has the lip built into it and I love it to help stabilize my ruler when cutting strips. One positions the lip again the edge of your cutting board and it helps to hold the ruler in place. I have other rulers without the lip and recently found that they are available to purchase separately and one can then slip them on and off other rulers to give that stability or to hold two rulers together to form square corners, etc. Just wondering if others use them and if the slip on ones are as satisfactory as those on the ruler when it was manufactured. All comments appreciated.

Quiltwoman44 03-14-2024 05:29 PM

long ago after cutting my finger i bought a long ruler that came with a guard on one edge. I"ve not seen one since though.
I didn't mind the guard on mine and it didn't get in the way.

BonnieJP 03-15-2024 02:06 PM

I have a couple of True Cut rulers from Grace Company. The have raised edges that your rotary cutter rides in. Ugh safer than a "flat" ruler. I don't even use my flat rulers for cutting anymore.

Onebyone 03-15-2024 03:16 PM

The lip is not a cutting guard. I have a 36” with lip ruler and smaller one.
Quilt in a Day sells the lip edge to attach to the ruler. It is a worthwhile tool to have.

ILoveToQuilt 03-17-2024 08:38 AM

I have Fingerguard rulers. Unfortunately they are no longer made and can't find any used. Guard is not on the ruler edge, but 1/4 inch in from the edge. Would probably buy every one I could find.

Haven't checked out any of the rulers mentioned above so I can't give any advice about them.

Jo Anne B. 03-23-2024 06:03 AM

I have 2 rulers that have the lip at the short end of the ruler. Not my favorite at all, find I have inaccurate cutting. I'll probably be putting them in the May garage sale.

Dizzyquilter 03-24-2024 01:40 PM

Those are my favorite rulers I have the 3x18, 6x24, and 4x36
O’Lipfa is the brand.

Originally Posted by abc123xyz (Post 8640957)
Does anyone use a lip that can be attached to a quilting ruler to give extra stability when using your rotary cutter? I have a ruler that has the lip built into it and I love it to help stabilize my ruler when cutting strips. One positions the lip again the edge of your cutting board and it helps to hold the ruler in place. I have other rulers without the lip and recently found that they are available to purchase separately and one can then slip them on and off other rulers to give that stability or to hold two rulers together to form square corners, etc. Just wondering if others use them and if the slip on ones are as satisfactory as those on the ruler when it was manufactured. All comments appreciated.