Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   a little bit tempting....(quilting system) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/little-bit-tempting-quilting-system-t41225.html)

lots2do 03-30-2010 12:57 PM

Hi,
So, I stop at a vac and sew for some thread and start chatting with someone there. Flash to: looking at a sit-down quilting system and a superduper stand up with a robot thing on it. $2,500 for the sitdown with a husky/viking machine and a stitch regulator.
Have always thought someday when I'm retired...
Not sure if I'd even like it. Know that this is a "special" price because they want to move it off their showroom floor. Special financing etc. etc.
Boy, part of me would have loved to have said "sure". But that part of me wouldn't have known what to do next so it's just as well, I guess.
Anyway, food for thought.
9 1/2 inch space for quilting - would I be satisfied with that?
Still thinking!
lots2do

patricej 03-30-2010 01:01 PM

$2,500 for a system with only 9-1/2 inches is too much.

BellaBoo 03-30-2010 01:03 PM

I saw a set up like that in a quilt shop. It was very nice. It doesn't take up as much room as a LA and you get to sit down. I think each quilting system has it's pros and cons. For the price it's an excellent value and you have the expert help you need at the store! The one I saw was over $4000.

Rachel 03-30-2010 01:03 PM

I've looked at these types of machines too. After doing a bit of research, I think a 15" throat would be a minimum for me. Once you get a large quilt rolled up in the smaller ones, you're lucky to have 4" of quilting space anymore and that's just not usually enough, unless you do really small designs. If it were me, I'd add another $1000 to their cost and get a midarm. Voyager is the one I've been drooling over, but I think a lot of people here like Bailey's too, but I'm not sure how much they cost.

Marjpf 03-30-2010 01:15 PM

If you're going to do it - go for the maximum you can afford. You'll never regret having a full sized long arm so you get the full 18" throat space. If that's out of your price range, I'd keep shopping. $2500 sounds a bit steep to me.

nursie76 03-30-2010 01:20 PM

The Baileys are long arms and with frame can be had for $3000

justwannaquilt 03-30-2010 01:29 PM

I have a brother pq1500 and I love it. You can get the machine and a grace frame from sewvacdirect.com for 1088.00 with free shipping.

You could also get this combo: Grace Little Gracie II Machine Quilting Frame, Juki TL98QE, Grace Stitch Regulator, Bungee Clamps & QuiltCAD Quilting Pattern Software for 1588.00 free shipping in the US. With this you get a bunch of other feet and the whole nine yards.

Both of these machines have a 9 inch throat. Knowing this I couldn't spend 2500 for a similar setup! If you have the 2500 and could stretch it to even the 3000 mentioned before for a Baileys I would!

lots2do 03-30-2010 01:48 PM

Good advice all of you.
I've just spent some time looking at the Bailey's site and that does put things into perspective. Justwannaquilt, will check that source out as well.

This is not something I've really even considered other than a 'someday' thought. It is good to know that this isn't necessarily a great price although it was a neat looking setup. The dealer's rep. is mixed around town from people I trust as well so am not sure I'd buy such a big thing there.

But, there is still that someday! (And, maybe I'll squirrel a little money away for that someday).
Thank you!
lots2do

Shorebird 03-30-2010 02:37 PM

you will not be happy with that machine,,,,,,,,,,,not enought throat space...........however, if that price includes the QBOT, it is less than the cost being quoted for that alone........you could get this set..........sell the machine on ebay, and then get a nice Nolting 15" or 18" machine, and be really happy!!

lots2do 03-30-2010 03:59 PM

Oh no, the QBOT was on the much pricier stand up system not the $2500 setup.
I am definitely going to do some more research. Also, have emailed a good friend to see what her setup is. She offered once to have me try it out. She lives about 2 hours away and we both have busy schedules but hopefully we can find some time for a good visit and a little playing too.
:)lots2do