Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   a little discouraged (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/little-discouraged-t243871.html)

Dotha 03-24-2014 09:03 PM

a little discouraged

Cleaning today I found some embroidery that I did 10 years or so ago. I did such better work back then. I don't know if it is my eyes are worse, my hands are shaky or what is going on. My work then was so nice. Now, not so much.

stillclock 03-24-2014 09:19 PM

are you sure? i mean...we are always so critical of ourselves.

and if it is objectively true, maybe you can find different thread arts.

embroidery is hard. really hard. i am relatively young and i find myself so very frustrated by how tired my hands get, how strained my eyes feel sometimes, how disappointed i can be in my own work.

be gentle with yourself. and if the best days of your fancy needle work are behind you, choose the best pieces and treat yourself to a gorgeous framing job, and celebrate your own good works.

aileen

patski 03-24-2014 09:25 PM

be gentle with yourself. we are always our own worst critics

Cass62 03-24-2014 09:49 PM

Do you really think it could be your eyes? Have you tried using something to help you see your work better? Like magnifying tools or lighting? Or did you simply get more practice before, and you're just a little rusty? That happens to me with a lot of things, just takes me awhile to get back into the groove. :)

justflyingin 03-24-2014 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by stillclock (Post 6643421)

be gentle with yourself. and if the best days of your fancy needle work are behind you, choose the best pieces and treat yourself to a gorgeous framing job, and celebrate your own good works.

aileen

Excellent advice!

DOTTYMO 03-24-2014 11:07 PM

As we progress each pice we do has a different challenge. You are doing far more difficult pieces now and have more on your list to do than at the beginning.
We each progress with love.

Zinda 03-25-2014 02:05 AM

I love the advice about framing. Some times we get so caught up in how a piece looks as we first planned, we forget to look outside the box. Great idea.

yadroc 03-25-2014 02:44 AM

IF, your embroidery is not as good as it used to be, looking at your avatar I would say your quilting is pretty fantastic. Why do we always see the one stitch that is out of place but not the thousands of stitches that are perfect.

Quilter 65 03-25-2014 05:31 AM

Just keep doing it if it gives you pleasure. Some of our most treasured notes are from a grandmother who was nearly blind. The lines are crooked, cross each other and no i's were ever dotted nor t's crossed as it that would cause her to lose her place. The heart is what matters. At any age, our talents vary.

Tartan 03-25-2014 06:03 AM

We all have to learn to work within our bodies limitations as we get older. My mother has Macular Degeneration in her eyes and I am hoping that isn't in my future. My arthritis limits how long I can work at any task now. Growing old isn't for wimps but it beats the alternative.