Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   a little suggestion plz (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/little-suggestion-plz-t185500.html)

patdesign 04-09-2012 11:31 AM

a little suggestion plz

I am working on a new quilt, proble, most are precuts, but one fabric had alread been washed, and I have already cut some of precuts inot 2 1/2 squares. Suggestions?

Raggiemom 04-09-2012 11:34 AM

What kind of suggestions do you need, whether you should wash all the material or not?

Scissor Queen 04-09-2012 12:00 PM

I've mixed washed and unwashed fabric in at least 7 quilts now. They're a scrap square in a square. You can't tell the difference after they're quilted and washed. Eventually I'll run out of all the prewashed scraps.

Tartan 04-09-2012 12:07 PM

I wouldn't worry about mixing washed and unwashed unless you are worried about a bleeder. Precuts are hard to wash unless you hand wash or use a lingerie bag. Test any ones you suspect may bleed by hand washing in hot water, place them onto white paper towel to dry. If after the're dry you have colour tranfer onto the paper towel, the're a bleeder and you may want to leave them out.

patdesign 04-09-2012 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by Raggiemom (Post 5128249)
What kind of suggestions do you need, whether you should wash all the material or not?

I dont know if I should try to wash the pre cuts and I cant unwash the prewash fabric which is about 1/2 of quilt, just wonder whether I should get new fabric to replace the prewashed stuff, allthough I really hate the extra expense.

patdesign 04-09-2012 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 5128347)
I wouldn't worry about mixing washed and unwashed unless you are worried about a bleeder. Precuts are hard to wash unless you hand wash or use a lingerie bag. Test any ones you suspect may bleed by hand washing in hot water, place them onto white paper towel to dry. If after the're dry you have colour tranfer onto the paper towel, the're a bleeder and you may want to leave them out.

Some of the precuts are deep red so yes that is a concern, I just cant belileve I was so stupid to not try and test the precuts before cutting them so small:) I was thinking I might have to do what you suggested, would you press afterwards?

QM 04-09-2012 01:39 PM

Yes, use Tartan's suggestion, then press them.

auntpiggylpn 04-09-2012 06:01 PM

There was a suggestion here on the board once in regards to washing precuts such as jelly rolls and charms. The QB member hand washed them by hand without manhandling them and rinsed them and then put them in a salad spinner to get the excess water out.

Dolphyngyrl 04-09-2012 06:52 PM

The quilting will even things out

patdesign 04-10-2012 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn (Post 5129108)
There was a suggestion here on the board once in regards to washing precuts such as jelly rolls and charms. The QB member hand washed them by hand without manhandling them and rinsed them and then put them in a salad spinner to get the excess water out.

Think I saw that post but had forgotten, plan to wash 1 deep red and dry flat then measure to asses the shrinkage, but think if it does not fade, I will just go with it and see what develops.:)