Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Little thread blobs on back. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/little-thread-blobs-back-t246841.html)

sval 05-15-2014 12:02 PM

Little thread blobs on back.

Every so often I get a thread blob on the back. Is it tension issue? I've tried adjusting, cleaning, changing needles. Everything I can think of. It doesn't do it on a sample. Just the real quilt. ????
I have one of those bohemoth machines that I'd need a truck to get in for servicing.
Anyone have any ideas.
Oh, it only does it when quilting,, not piecing.

QuiltnNan 05-15-2014 12:37 PM

is the thread blob from the top thread or the bobbin thread?

Prism99 05-15-2014 12:56 PM

Are you free motion quilting? When doing free motion, movements are not as smooth as with regular sewing. Some machines are sensitive to these changes in motion, causing thread tension to vary.

sval 05-15-2014 01:00 PM

No, not free motion quilting.
I don't know whether it is from the top thread or the bobbin because I always use the same in both when I quilt. How can I tell?

sval 05-15-2014 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan (Post 6717630)
is the thread blob from the top thread or the bobbin thread?

I just looked at one I did with variegated thread. It's the top thread that's making the blob. What does that mean? And why does it do it just some of the time?

Terri D. 05-15-2014 02:09 PM

Your needle size may not be compatible with the weight of thread you're using.

or...

If you are using a cone, you may need to reduce some of the tension as it feeds into the machine. You can do this by taping a paper clip to the back right side of your machine and running the thread through it first and then begin threading your machine.

sval 05-15-2014 02:14 PM

Oh, thread size and needle size. hadn't thought of that. If I'm using 50 wt thread, what size needle for machine quilting?

Onebyone 05-15-2014 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by sval (Post 6717706)
Oh, thread size and needle size. hadn't thought of that. If I'm using 50 wt thread, what size needle for machine quilting?

What ply is the 50 wt thread? I use size 80/12 needle for 50 wt 2 ply. For 50 wt 3 ply I found a 90/14 works best for me when using a walking foot.

RipStitcher 05-15-2014 03:42 PM

If you have a "behemoth", are you using the thread cutters on the machine?

If so, when you get a "blob" is that the same as what some of us usually call a "thread nest" (albeit, a little one) ... is it at the start of your next run of sewing after having used the thread cutters on the machine?

If so, I have gotten in the habit of using a little 1" wide piece of jumper fabric to stitch off onto.. and to start stitching from ... instead of using the cutters.

I was watching the Quilt Show (Ricky Tims / Alex Anderson) and she called the little pieces of fabric "starters" and "enders".

Geri B 05-16-2014 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by RipStitcher (Post 6717810)
If you have a "behemoth", are you using the thread cutters on the machine?

If so, when you get a "blob" is that the same as what some of us usually call a "thread nest" (albeit, a little one) ... is it at the start of your next run of sewing after having used the thread cutters on the machine?

If so, I have gotten in the habit of using a little 1" wide piece of jumper fabric to stitch off onto.. and to start stitching from ... instead of using the cutters.

I was watching the Quilt Show (Ricky Tims / Alex Anderson) and she called the little pieces of fabric "starters" and "enders".

Leaders/Enders....Bonnie hunter makes great second quilt tops from these...I love the idea....

If you r getting eyelashes, your top thread is not on the paths correctly.....re thread.