Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Live Chat problems and Internet Explorer 8 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/live-chat-problems-internet-explorer-8-a-t20120.html)

Admin 05-14-2009 07:17 AM

Here is a possible fix for people who might be having problems participating in the live chat.

This is a message I received from one user, craftybear. She was kind enough to send this information to me.

Hopefully, it will help people who are in the same situation.

Hi,

I had updated to internet explorer 8 on my desktop the other day as a window popped up to upgrade. After I did a few days later found your site and couldn't get chat to work.

Yesterday I went to my laptop as it has the older version of internet explorer and was able to log on with no problems.

So then I did a search online to get microsoft phone # of 1-866-234-6020 and they got it fixed for me.

Okay steps that they had me to do.

1. when you have your site up top right corner go to Tools, compatible view settings and only have the one checked that says display all websites in compatible view

2. go to Tools, internet options, advanced, and be sure to have a check mark by the one that says enable 3rd party browser extensions
(this is the only one to be checked out of the 3 options) click apply, click ok

and then it worked fine!

Microsoft was so nice and didn't charge me at all.

Karen

Carol W 05-14-2009 02:53 PM

Great information.

b.zang 05-14-2009 05:53 PM

I have found this board is very compatible with Firefox. There are no problems with bookmarks especially, which crop up as a question periodically as new people join.

I haven't tried the live chat with Firefox. I've actually only tried it once but my connection isn't as high speed as it's supposed to be and the chat froze up on me.

Mousie 05-29-2009 02:47 PM

if I understand correctly, b.zang, your saying, you have to have dsl or high speed, to use chat?
I've only been there a few times, and couldn't stay long, bc it would freeze up, or kick me offline...have dial up, btw. is that the problem?

dvseals 05-29-2009 03:03 PM

I use firefox and chat works fine. not tried it with ie I got irritated with that program a while back and quit usin it..

Yes quiltin the fact that you have dialup is indeed a major reason you have problems with chat.
Since dialup isn't a "dedicated" internet connection (your phone and your neighbors all use same line)
it is really slow and has alot of problems keeping the connection to web sites/games/chats etc. because of all the traffic on the line.
You don't "Have" to have dsl or highspeed to use chat but they do make staying in chat a whole lot easier.

BellaBoo 05-29-2009 03:29 PM

I updated Firefox and now it will not work at all. The older version was fine and I liked it better then Explorer. I tried all the fixes websites recommended to get it to work but it won't, keeps saying " not responding'"after I open the browser. I use Google Crome and it works great and so much faster then the other browsers. It took a little getting use to but now it's my favorite.

jbsstrawberry 05-29-2009 04:35 PM

My compatability button is right next to where the web address is typed in...it looks like a piece of typing paper torn in half. After I bring up the chat window, I click that button and enable the compatablity view. In case I'm as confusing to you as I am to myself when I read this...on the top of the window in order it's back button , forward button, web address area, compatablility view button, refresh button, and stop button.

Hope it helps!

Ducky 05-29-2009 05:17 PM

Great! Thanks so much for this information. I couldn't figure out why, after changing computers, that my chat wouldn't work. Now it does. :D

elliemay 06-08-2009 09:21 AM

Thanks have done this as you sent me it previously.. all boxes are ticked.. hub updates PC regular so dont knwo just one of those things i suppose!! thanks for info though :-)