Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Live and learn... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/live-learn-t101471.html)

quiltwoman 02-20-2011 02:12 PM

I find that I have very poor luck with small appliances, hair dryers, toasters, coffee pots and yes, IRONS.

I spent alot of money on a Rowenta--it doesn't get hot anymore. So, at Target, I picked up a little cheapie Black N Decker. I have used it for a few months. Today, I plugged it in, it was set on medium and it SCORCHED my paper pieced block the MINUTE I set it on the fabric....all that tiny work, ruined....
What do you use? I need to investigate some possibilites :oops:

amma 02-20-2011 02:20 PM

I buy the $10-$15 dollare irons at WalMart, they last about 3 years or so. I have not had any better luck with the more expensive ones, so I just go disposable :D:D:D

hobbykat1955 02-20-2011 02:23 PM

Just had to replace my Black and Decker this wk after 4 yrs. Went to Walmart and got another 13.00 Black and Decker...Can't complain...You might have had it on the highest setting versus just cotton...never had a problem with burning

litacats 02-20-2011 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by amma
I buy the $10-$15 dollare irons at WalMart, they last about 3 years or so. I have not had any better luck with the more expensive ones, so I just go disposable :D:D:D

been there done that now like amma I buy cheep throw away ones. mostly with me it is watches I don't have any luck with them. they go for a while and then they either stop or go slow or faster. I can't wear windup watches at all as after a few months you can see the hands wizzing around out of control. weird.

Laura3 02-20-2011 02:29 PM

Same...irons and coffee pots are not good for me. I am always searching for the perfect one and so far not happening.

Tilladare 02-20-2011 02:30 PM

I finally got tired of fighting with irons, both cheap and expensive. Last month I invested in Reliable's V100 iron. Yes, pricey, but...
Separate chamber and heating components for water/steam
Separate temp settings for soleplate and steam, so soleplate can be set at low for delicate fabrics, and still have high steam (or any other combo you might want to use)
a replacable filter in the water chamber to filter out the calcium and stuff that ruins so many irons...
oh and did I mention it has AUTO-SHUT-OFF-OVERRIDE!!??!!

Unique Creations 02-20-2011 02:40 PM

Small appliances are made to be disposable these days. Just in the last few months I have gone thru a Rowena iron, a Black & Decker rechargable screwdriver, and a leaf blower.I expect the toaster and coffee pot to go any day now!!

irishrose 02-20-2011 03:21 PM

I bought a Black & Decker on clearance at KMart at least 12 years ago. For some reason, it has an overly long cord, which I love. I've more than got my $7 worth out of that one. It doesn't turn itself off, thank goodness. When my son went off to school, I bought a new iron and sent the old one with him. In a few days, I called to make a trade. The shut off was terrible when sewing. He got the fancy new one.

Ramona Byrd 02-20-2011 03:29 PM

there done that now like amma I buy cheep throw away ones. mostly with me it is watches I don't have any luck with them. they go for a while and then they either stop or go slow or faster. I can't wear windup watches at all as after a few months you can see the hands wizzing around out of control. weird.[/quote]
-------------------------
I'm like that, absolutely can not wear any of my expensive ones from a previous life. Had to give them to daughters, who have no problem at all. I was told by a surprised jeweler that I must have a lot of electricity in my body. This was after he wound up a pricy watch and let me wear it in front of him, and he spoke to DH at the same time he was timing me. Then he looked at the watch and discovered it said the wrong time!! He finally suggested that I get cheap watches at Walmart and then toss them when a new battery didn't work. Now I'm worried about expensive hearing aids!!! So far so good.

As for irons, I picked up a non-expensive Rowenta at CostCo and it's worked nicely for at least 3 years.

Mazda 02-20-2011 03:51 PM

I bought a new Panasonic iron just last week. Also got a new ironing board cover. I would be willing to venture a guess that the old ones were 20 years old. I for one, like the automatic cutoff thingy............I get distracted easily & forget to turn my iron off when I just step out of my sewing room for a minute.....that minute sometimes turns into an hour!