Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Local Quilt Shows (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/local-quilt-shows-t54612.html)

Mary Bird 07-15-2010 08:21 AM

I recently attended a local quilt show (city of 34000) at a County Museum. The judge of the show was extremely critical of the entries and did not give many ribbons. It seems she based her judging of this show on 'standards'. If you didn't have a flat border you were knocked out of first place. If your binding wasn't perfect, no 2nd place. If your corners didn't miter perfectly, no 3rd place. No matter if your applique was perfect, or piecing impeccable. I think local quilt shows should be judged based on the quilts submitted. Of all the pieced quilts, there should be a 1st, 2nd & 3rd place; same for all other categories. These quilts were never intended for display at a nat'l quilt show! What are your thoughts?

Grama Lehr 07-15-2010 08:23 AM

I agree 100 percent!! That's why it's a LOCAL QUILT SHOW!! :roll:

nuttyhurricane 07-15-2010 08:25 AM

Sounds like she belongs to the quilt police instead. No positive comments??? Is she perfect?? Wonder if she would be able to live with herself and her quilts if judged under her rules? Oh well there are those who can not be pleased. I hope they do not ask her back next year or ever. K

amma 07-15-2010 08:27 AM

I agree, they should be judged on the over all workmanship of all of the quilts. If they wouldn't have wanted 1st, 2nd and 3rd places they wouldn't have given the judges all of those ribbons! :D:D:D

ann clare 07-15-2010 08:27 AM

I agree, a local quilt show should be judged on the quilts submitted.

sharon b 07-15-2010 08:31 AM

How sad that people work so hard for a LOCAL show and get knocked so hard... Maybe if it was a preliminary for a future bigger show, be tough ,but otherwise don't be so harsh :hunf:

jackkip 07-15-2010 08:39 AM

Local quilts shows should be just that. You will not have "professional" quilters enter. The pro quilter will be looking for a show with higher prize money. It really is on another lever. It is a chance for the average quilter to compete. It is a place to get your feet wet. The judges should realize that.

Another thing that bugs me, when you do enter a quilt, Please give me constructed criticisms. Just telling me that my quilt is a good job, but I don't win a ribbon really doesn't help. Judges help me out by telling what needs help and where I can improve. Sorry, I will now step off my soap box :oops:

Scissor Queen 07-15-2010 08:49 AM

I got a really strange complaint on one of my wall hangings from a judge at the county fair. She complained that you could see thru the fabric on the chimney of an oil lamp. Duh, it's supposed to be glass. I *wanted* the viewer to be able to see the background thru that fabric!!

ghostrider 07-15-2010 08:49 AM

The organization determines the manner in which the judges judge a show. Take it up with them. Many shows are now judging on a point system, believing that is less competitive and gives the entrants more accurate feedback. It can result in no ribbons, or multiple ribbons, of each color.

Mary Bird 07-15-2010 08:50 AM

Thanks for all the great comments. There is NO money prize, just a ribbon, so I don't understand why the strictness. Constructive criticism is great, but award ribbons!