Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Locking threads in straight line quilting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/locking-threads-straight-line-quilting-t311494.html)

indymta 06-23-2020 03:41 PM

Locking threads in straight line quilting

I am having to do my own quilting now and have just done diagonal lines thru my blocks. I did 3-4 stitches at 0 stitch length (beginning and end) then did the regular stitches. Can I just cut my threads or do I have to knot and bury my threads. I'm trying to determine if that stitching at 0 secured my threads?

quiltingshorttimer 06-23-2020 07:50 PM

you should be good---those that long arm do basically the same thing on most quilts.

Peckish 06-23-2020 08:29 PM

Yep, I agree.

sewingpup 06-24-2020 05:11 AM

you should be fine....if you want....instead of setting the stitch length to zero you could also set it really short...that way you don't get a knot at the end...each stitch will be just slightly ahead of the next....I have a Bernina which is fantastic for the setting stitch lengths but most machines will also work....

juliasb 06-24-2020 06:23 AM

You should have no problem and by clipping them as you go you have a less difficult time finding that one thread that gets away from you.

indymta 06-24-2020 07:47 AM

Thanks for all the replies. My quilter has Parkinson's and can no longer do quilting. It is so sad. Have 2 small quilts and thought I could do the straight line quilting until I can figure something else out.

indymta 06-24-2020 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by sewingpup (Post 8396088)
you should be fine....if you want....instead of setting the stitch length to zero you could also set it really short...that way you don't get a knot at the end...each stitch will be just slightly ahead of the next....I have a Bernina which is fantastic for the setting stitch lengths but most machines will also work....

My stitch length only goes down to 1.0 the next is 0.0. Is that small enough to do what you suggest sewingpup? Also what do you mean by each stitch being ahead of the next.

Peckish 06-24-2020 08:31 AM

She means the stitches will be teensy tiny, but won't be in the exact same spot, like they are when your machine is set to 0. If you take too many stitches at 0, the buildup can make a bump or knot. If you can set it at 1 or even 0.5, there will be less of a buildup. However, I think if you only take 3-4 stitches at 0 you'll be fine.

SallyS 06-24-2020 08:36 AM

You could add a drop of June Taylor's Fray Block. It has always disappeared when dry, leaves a soft hand and then I'm double sure the threads won't ravel. If you're hesitant, you could bring your threads to the back and try it there, or of course try it on a scrap.

indymta 06-24-2020 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by Peckish (Post 8396162)
She means the stitches will be teensy tiny, but won't be in the exact same spot, like they are when your machine is set to 0. If you take too many stitches at 0, the buildup can make a bump or knot. If you can set it at 1 or even 0.5, there will be less of a buildup. However, I think if you only take 3-4 stitches at 0 you'll be fine.

Thank you for the explanation- I get it now. My machine only goes to 1.0 then the next is 0.0. I can do only 3-4 stitches so that's a plan.