Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Log cabin cutting question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/log-cabin-cutting-question-t242349.html)

willferg 03-02-2014 08:37 AM

Log cabin cutting question

I have a lot of scraps that I'm planning to cut into strips for scrappy log cabins. I was thinking I'd cut 2" x 15", so that if I wanted to cut a piece into smaller sections, I'd get two pieces of usable size out of it, with seam allowances.

Does that make sense? Would you cut them longer or shorter? I'm thinking of putting the fabric into kits, so I don't want to cut them into exact lengths and limit what someone else might want to do.

I appreciate your two cents!

Lori S 03-02-2014 08:40 AM

I don't precut scraps until I am ready to sew a project. I learned the hard way that cutting in advance will certainly bring on new inspiration and cuts different from what I have.

bearisgray 03-02-2014 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by Lori S (Post 6604895)
I don't precut scraps until I am ready to sew a project. I learned the hard way that cutting in advance will certainly bring on new inspiration and cuts different from what I have.

It tended to make me mad at myself and frustrated that I had botched something that I could have used, but now I can not

JoyceHoopes 03-02-2014 09:00 AM

It depends on what size block you want to end up with. If you want a 12" finished block, a 15" piece is long enough for the longest log and could be subcut for shorter lengths. You might want to check the length needed for 2 logs that form the next to outside log of the block to see if the 15" is enough to make two of them. A lot depends on the finished size of the piece and if you want to have enough that some of the blocks can have the same fabric in the same log. Best of luck to you ding this. I always overthink things so this may not make any sense. In that case, please disregard as the ramblings resulting from a senior moment. ;) Joyce in DE

willferg 03-02-2014 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by Lori S (Post 6604895)

Believe me, this fabric has been sitting a looong time, inspiring one idea after another. If I don't cut this up now, I will never get anything made with it, lol. As it is, I'm cutting for two plus quilts already!

Viquilt 03-02-2014 09:16 AM

I think I would cut the strips but not do the sub cutting. Vi

willferg 03-02-2014 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by JoyceHoopes (Post 6604938)
I always overthink things so this may not make any sense. In that case, please disregard as the ramblings resulting from a senior moment. ;) Joyce in DE

I'm right there with you! Depends if the center square is the same size as the logs or is bigger, depends on how many logs one wants to use...I'm just trying to come up with a length that will cover the most contingencies...probably overthinking it, lol.

Lori S 03-02-2014 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by willferg (Post 6604965)
Believe me, this fabric has been sitting a looong time, inspiring one idea after another. If I don't cut this up now, I will never get anything made with it, lol. As it is, I'm cutting for two plus quilts already!

Since log cabin takes a variety of strip lengths. I would cut my width ( leaving what ever lenght is left with out cutting again)and then cut my long logs first, as the shorter left overs can be used for the shorter lengths.

AnnieSue 03-02-2014 10:59 AM

Just cut the width of the fabric and leave it at that.

AliKat 03-02-2014 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieSue (Post 6605222)
Just cut the width of the fabric and leave it at that.

This is what I'd do.