Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Log Cabin help - colors, size & amt of fabric (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/log-cabin-help-colors-size-amt-fabric-t111022.html)

quilter68 03-27-2011 04:36 AM

OMG! I have been collecting 'pinks' to make a log cabin and I now have about 20yards. More than enough, I think!

saf 03-27-2011 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by PghPat
Hi All - I know I can come here and get answers to all my quilting questions.

I love the Log Cabin block and have made a couple wall hangings, sewing machine cover, etc using them but have never made a quilt at all other than 2 rag quilts. I'd like to make my first quilt - a queen size using the Log Cabin blocks. But I would like to use only one dark floral print and one light floral tonal print. I have never seen one made with just 2 colors of fabric. Does anyone have a picture of one they could post for me? I'd like to see what it'd look like.
Hi Pat'
thanks for asking this question. I have just finished the top of my first quilt which is a rail fence lap quilt and wanted to use the log cabin design for the next. All the help and advice is just what I need. I wouldn't have been able to work all the math out myself. I made a small sample log cabin in class with lights, mediums and darks but seeing the samples, I really like using just two colours. Many thanks every one.
Next, how much of each fabric would I need if I cut 2.5 strips? Is that a good width for the strips? How many blocks would I need for a queen size - not to the floor - just below the mattress?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Pat

sharon b 03-27-2011 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by ChubbyBunny

Originally Posted by PghPat

Originally Posted by ChubbyBunny
Hi Pat, I just designed a quick queen size log cabin with my EQ6. The quilt is 92x92. The blocks are 12x12 and the strips are 2 inches wide. I only used 3 fabrics for the blocks. A red for the center, a dark blue floral and light floral. Does this look like what you had in mind?

Yes, Chubby Bunny - it is what I have in mind. So how much of each of the light and dark fabric would I need to buy? Thank You!

Pat

Fabric requirements for the quilt top.....

Red print for center of blocks: 1 1/8 yards
Light floral print: 2 1/2 yards
Dark floral print: 3 yards
Border fabric: 2 1/2 yards

EQ6 is a computer program. You use it to design quilts and quilt blocks. I love it!

What size strips does this work with ?

Mariposa 03-27-2011 07:43 AM

If you use 2.5" strips it will go together faster. You can do 6x7 blocks, and add a couple of borders, you then have your queen size quilt! But any size strip will work. :)

Codi 02-04-2019 12:20 AM

Log cabin quilt

So how much fabric did you use for this quilt.. I am going to make one for a friend.

Originally Posted by PghPat (Post 2873392)
Yes, Chubby Bunny - it is what I have in mind. So how much of each of the light and dark fabric would I need to buy? Thank You!

Pat

maudeflanagan 02-04-2019 04:07 AM

Originally Posted by ChubbyBunny (Post 2873252)
Hi Pat, I just designed a quick queen size log cabin with my EQ6. The quilt is 92x92. The blocks are 12x12 and the strips are 2 inches wide. I only used 3 fabrics for the blocks. A red for the center, a dark blue floral and light floral. Does this look like what you had in mind?

Layout #1
[ATTACH=CONFIG]175576[/ATTACH]

Layout #2
[ATTACH=CONFIG]175577[/ATTACH]

Are the strips cut to 2.5" and then finish at 2"? Is the center square the same? I too love the log cabin block and would like to use a 12" finished block for a quilt I am working on.

Thank you all for this wealth of information. This forum is so wonderful.

SusieQOH 02-04-2019 05:33 AM

Last summer I made a King LC for our bed using 2.5 inch strips. It came out great. I didn't cut the strips to size, just long strips and then cut after. I love the way it turned out.

Jordan 02-04-2019 12:57 PM

I think the Log Cabin quilt is a good start. If you "google" LC quilts you may find some tutorials that would help you on cut size and how much fabric to purchase. Good luck and please share with us your progress.

suern3 02-04-2019 03:53 PM

I suggest you go to www.judymartin.com. She has many Log Cabin designs and the best information about (imho) making LC quilts. I printed off some of her free patterns and tips for understanding the patterns, how to organize your strips, etc. I made my first LC quilt as a Quilt of Valor following her instructions. If you want to use just to colors, just use the yardage and instructions she gives. The fabric requirements are just designated as lights, darks and accents. Since you are new to quilting I think you could benefit from her detailed instructions rather than just general info.