Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   LOG CABIN...Please help... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/log-cabin-please-help-t201602.html)

Valerie Ann 09-26-2012 12:48 PM

LOG CABIN...Please help...

I posted a thread here, but I got confused. I want to make a floral somewhat scrappy log cabin with 1.5 inch strips. The book says three lights and three darks, but that is when you make the strips 2 inches. I want to make a larger queen, so how many lights and darks using 1.5 inches?

nhweaver 09-26-2012 01:00 PM

It depends on how many squares you want to do. The more strips, the larger the block. I have done one using honey buns, and used 6 lights and 6 darks. It was very scrappy, but I loved it. I kinda like the narrower log cabins, I think it adds lots of interest.

Jan in VA 09-26-2012 01:21 PM

With 1.5" logs and 2.5" 'hearth' center square, you will end up with an 8" block when your quilt is sewn together.
For a quilt that will fit a queen sized bed, make 110 of these blocks; set them 10 blocks across by 11 blocks down and add borders about 4" wide.

With 2" logs and 2" hearth, you will end with a 10.5" block when your quilt is sewn together.
For a queen-sized quilt make 72 blocks; set them 8 blocks across and 9 blocks down to measure approx. 84" x 94.5"; then add narrow borders if you wish.

Jan in VA

ladynredd 09-26-2012 02:31 PM

Figure out how big your block will be using whatever size center square you want to use. Then just divide the width & length by that number and you know how many total blocks you need.

ncsewer 09-26-2012 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA (Post 5543053)
With 1.5" logs and 2.5" 'hearth' center square, you will end up with an 8" block when your quilt is sewn together.
For a quilt that will fit a queen sized bed, make 110 of these blocks; set them 10 blocks across by 11 blocks down and add borders about 4" wide.

With 2" logs and 2" hearth, you will end with a 10.5" block when your quilt is sewn together.
For a queen-sized quilt make 72 blocks; set them 8 blocks across and 9 blocks down to measure approx. 84" x 94.5"; then add narrow borders if you wish.

Jan in VA

Wow, you are really good at that!!!

Jingle 09-27-2012 05:29 AM

Jan is a designer - instructor and helps out a lot with others questions and problems. Lots of great help here. I love log cabin quilts, they just seem to take so long to make.I have made lots of them including some variations of them. I plan to make a floral -- one day.

May in Jersey 09-27-2012 05:56 AM

Log cabin blocks can vary so much, you can make your blocks with as many lights and darks that you want, also vary the size of the center square. For floral log cabins I like the look of of 1 1/2 strips and 6 or 8 of lights and darks, for other fabrics I like 2" strips because that makes bigger blocks and I need to make less of them. Maybe you need to make a few sample blocks, first with 3 lights and 3 darks and see how you like it, see what size the block is and how many you need to make for the size quilt you want to make. Then make another one with more lights and darks and see what that looks like.