Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   log cabin PP or not? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/log-cabin-pp-not-t134416.html)

leatheflea 07-01-2011 06:36 AM

I tried a log cabin with out pp and it was kinda wonky. So I think pp is a good idea for those of us who are challenged.

AliKat 07-01-2011 06:52 AM

Do it whichever way you want.

I prefer strip piecing for LC. I cut with my Alto's and I use a 1/4" foot with a flange guide so I know I am sewing the seams straight. For me this is quicker.

ali

Prism99 07-01-2011 06:52 AM

I would never PP a log cabin unless it was a miniature. Lots of extra work! I have never had a problem strip-piecing log cabin blocks.

NJ Quilter 07-01-2011 07:42 AM

I'm doing one now that is not pp'd. Just cutting strips and chain pieceing. That's more than enough work for me! I'm squaring as I go as some of my cuts are quite wonky. It's coming out nicely but I don't think I'll do another one. Seems way too tedious and too much like work for me. Oh well, lesson learned.

sewbelle52 07-01-2011 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by ghostrider
I love to make log cabin quilts and, for me, paper piecing them is a huge waste of time and paper. I cut and sew straight with no problem, I chain piece quickly and easily, and I square up the blocks after every round (not after every strip as mentioned above). Try making a block or two each way and see which you prefer.

Ditto.

dunster 07-01-2011 09:08 AM

I don't PP log cabins. I use Judy Martin's methods from her log cabin book. I prefer them to Eleanor Burns' methods. I don't have to square as I go because all the strips are pre-cut to the correct length and sorted by length and value (light/dark).

TymeToShine 07-01-2011 10:02 AM

Thanks to all for the advice. Will have to seach squaring on a foundation as I am not familiar with that.

BarbaraSue 07-01-2011 10:08 AM

I PP one log cabin because the block was 5" and it had squares going diagonally across the block (sorry can't remember the name- lightening strike?) I needed the help for that small of square.
But other than that I have just picked a size of strips and went for it. The size is up to you, and the number of strips in each block is up to you. Start with a square, 4 patch, 9 patch, then strip around it. It can be relaxing to do.:)

greenini 07-01-2011 11:38 AM

My first quilt was a king size LC pieced the way E. Burns does it, I didn't need to PP, it came out super and I loved making the squares that way so much I stitched up a billion of them, enough to make my quilt, plus a double bed size plus several lap sized for gifts.

try it the ways that most interest you to see how it goes. My strips were 2 1/2" wide so there wasn't too much worry about making mistakes.

BrendaK 07-01-2011 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by Lori S
I really do not like taking the papers out when paper piecing. I love the method for some blocks. But for a log cabin where there are no "points" ... I would starch my fabric prior to cutting ( I use a pretty heavy starch). Then cut my strips. I make log cabins with strips as narrow a 1 1/4 inch . For me it goes much faster than P/P and I can get very accurate using starch( be very generous) and my 1/4 inch foot.
Starch tip- use the Stay - flo concentrate in the blue bottle ( I find it at Walmart in the laundry section) dilute it about 2 parts water to 1 part starch. I dip the fabrics in... let it saturate , use a drying rack for drying. then iron. You will be pleasently surprised at the difference it makes in the final results. This part takes a bit of time ... but soo worth it. Once I have it starched , ironed and cut ... I am off to the races so to speak... It goes so fast then.
I find the accuarcy is so good I have not had to square up till the end and then it was so minimal it was non -existant.

Lori S: Do you not place the fabrics in the dryer because the starch might end up in the dryer? I have a small place and really don't have a place to hang dry (maybe the bathtub, hum). I like the sound of what you do. It seems like I just spray, spray and spray. Which takes a lot of time. I use the June Tailor ruler to cut my strips so they are straight. For me the LC went fairly quick. I like PP but I think if it is going to be a larger size then PP would be a lot of trouble. Good Luck BrendaK