Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Log Cabin quilt ruined (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/log-cabin-quilt-ruined-t113805.html)

HummerGardenCrafts 04-05-2011 04:26 PM

Oh, that is not good. Have you asked how many tops they have quilted? And how they turned out? I think I would have to see pics of anyone quilting before I sent a top of to be quilted. But you learn from your mistakes.

Be careful ripping out, or you will make little holes in your quilt top.

Jingle 04-05-2011 05:45 PM

That is such a shame to have this happen. If at all possile FMQ it yourself.

117becca 04-05-2011 06:02 PM

Forget the seam ripper - invest in a pair of thread snips that you just squeeze. You want a pair w/ pointy thin blades. You snip threads every 3/4/5 stitches, and it'll come apart much easier....

I am so sorry you have to go thru this..

KellyK 04-05-2011 06:05 PM

Google "how to skin a quilt" there are some videos out there with tips to make the ripping go much much faster. I am so sorry this happened to you! I know how horrible I would feel if it were me, I can't even think of a thing to say that could make you feel better... hugs...

justwannaquilt 04-05-2011 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by 117becca
Forget the seam ripper - invest in a pair of thread snips that you just squeeze. You want a pair w/ pointy thin blades. You snip threads every 3/4/5 stitches, and it'll come apart much easier....

I am so sorry you have to go thru this..

This is how I do it, however clip from the BACK not the front/top. That way if you slip or happen to get a little piece of fabric in there you are not causing a hole in your top!

Chele 04-05-2011 06:13 PM

I had a quilt come back with puckers in the borders, but the quilter let me know beforehand it wasn't laying right. Your relative is obviously still learning. I bet she'll be a pro with some practice. Rip and redo and make it right. Sounds like you have a ripping partner. Make it fun. Pop some corn, put on a movie and rip away.

BellaBoo 04-05-2011 06:29 PM

If she is truly learning she needs to know the quilting is not acceptable and others will not be happy to have their quilts quilted like that at all. I tend to think she knows it's not right but doesn't care because she is doing it fast and cheap so what do you expect? I would be more then upset, I'd be very angry at her for doing a horrible job and thinking I'd be okay with it.

waladopa 04-05-2011 07:22 PM

She says she only does it for friends and family.
she told me over the phone that it might have a pucker or 2 in one corner but the puckers are all over it.
At least the backing is burgandy and she quilted it in white so at least I will be able to see the stitches good.
Thanks everyone for the input and condolences.

GrannieAnnie 04-05-2011 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by waladopa
She says she only does it for friends and family.
she told me over the phone that it might have a pucker or 2 in one corner but the puckers are all over it.
At least the backing is burgandy and she quilted it in white so at least I will be able to see the stitches good.
Thanks everyone for the input and condolences.

I guess having the white on burgandy stitches is a blessing of sorts. You're already looking on the bright side, so you'll do fine.

quilterella 04-06-2011 12:35 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by waladopa
I sent my first quilt top, an oversized king size log cabin, to a relative to quilt. She has a quilting machine and she said she would do it cheap. The problem is, I got what I paid for.
The quilt is ruined unless I rip out everything she did. The quilt is full of puckers.
Does anyone have any advice?
Should I just start ripping?
I don't want to hurt the relatives feelings but I won't be sending her anymore quilts to quilt.

This happened to me a few years ago, with my DD's quilt. I had sent it to a friend that was a LAQ and she did about 2/3s of it, charged me over $350.00 and told me I did a poor job. She had mounted it crooked on the frame and stretched it slightly, leaving puckers all over it. It took many hours to rip it out, I replaced the borders and quilted it on my Janome 6600. I learned a valuable lesson though...you do get what you pay for! It was a frustrating lesson, but, when I was finished, I was proud to give it to my DD, especially because "I quilted it". Good luck and be patient...it takes time. This is a picture of her quilt after I finished it.