Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Long arm, mid arm comparison (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/long-arm-mid-arm-comparison-t34117.html)

IBQUILTIN 01-14-2010 07:51 PM

There is a quilt show in Clovs in March. I think its the 26th. Check with Quilters Paradise for definite date. There will (hopefully) be some reps there,

Shelley 01-14-2010 07:52 PM

Buying a LA is like buying a car - what works for you may not work well for someone else, and vice-versa.

This is a large investment. Take the time, spend the money, and go to one of the large shows. Most if not all the machines are represented. Take your time and play on them ALL. Machine Quilters Exposition - MQX (in the North East), MQS (Kansas City), Houston, Innovations (Tacoma WA), Quilting with Machines (Salt Lake City), Portland....well, you get the picture. There are shows all over and I'm sure I didn't hit them all.

Most of all - have fun!

quilter girl 01-14-2010 07:52 PM

Where is this show located at?

Originally Posted by dakotamaid
This past May I attended the Machine Quilters show in Kansas City, MO. They have just about every long arm machine made there and you could talk with the reps, try out the machines and pick up info. Not only that but lots and lots of machine quilted quilts and wallhangings. MY SIL, daughter and even our husbands had a great time looking at all the machines. She ended up with a demo HQ16 (bought locally) and I'm still looking. The show is held every year in May.

IBQUILTIN 01-14-2010 08:08 PM

BTW, If you are not in a hurry, the State Fair in sac is coming up in the fall or late summer. They will all be there too.

Shelley 01-14-2010 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by Candace
I'm not opposed to buying a gently used machine, but I really don't want one that was used professionally.

I would prefer one that was used professionally. Most professional LAers maintain their own machines. This is our bread-and-butter and a down machine looses money.

There are some parts, on all machines, that will wear down. I would be more worried about buying a machine that was used mostly for rentals, than one used by a pro. Watch for nicks on the rails, out of round wheels, and bumps and jarrs during a test run.

Candace 01-14-2010 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by IBQUILTIN
BTW, If you are not in a hurry, the State Fair in sac is coming up in the fall or late summer. They will all be there too.

I didn't know that. Good info!

butterflywing 01-14-2010 09:06 PM

i (and 2 others here) have the Tin Lizzie, the least expensive 18"-er. it doesn't sing and dance, but it has the stitch regulator. it has a wide, deep shelf for pantos, a light, a built-in bobbin winder. if you go to their website, they do sell them used from the factory. it's a family business and they give you phone instruction and trouble-shooting forever. it comes with a 12' table.

http://tinlizzie2.homestead.com/Products2.html

you may have to call them for a price on used. they're very nice and customer oriented. they won't pressure you at all.

Candace 01-15-2010 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by butterflywing
it doesn't sing and dance, but it has the stitch regulator. it has a wide, deep shelf for pantos, a light, a built-in bobbin winder.

When you say it doesn't sing and dance, what doesn't it do that the other machines are capable of? Of course I've seen this one online, but they don't tell you what it doesn't do! This is the kind of info. I need to narrow down the field:>

butterflywing 01-15-2010 07:40 AM

it doesn't automatically roll or lift. it doesn't come with a wooden pointer for wooden pantos . it doesn't have a computerized screen. it doesn't have have an automatic cutter. like that. they also have a blog website that you can look at. they all do, so you can read and see the pros and cons. if you diddle around, they have a manual online. type in tin lizzie manual. if you can't find it, i'll be happy to mail one to you. pm your address.

Candace 01-15-2010 07:47 AM

Does it have the ability to be computerized either with the Qbot or PCQuilter? I about choked when I saw the HQ computerization costs upwards of 8 grand. Shoot, my old mac died a few months ago and we bought a brand new mid-line laptop for less than 2 thousand! Somebody is making some nice profits. Wish it were me!