Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Long Arm Suggestions (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/long-arm-suggestions-t100791.html)

kathy 02-18-2011 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by knlsmith

Originally Posted by wtxpeach
How do you handle the last 4" and do you do full-sized quilts? Is that the reason for wanting to go to a long arm? So many questions!

Just a thought... Why not take off and flip on frame? May take time and practice, but seems to make sense in theory.

you can't really do that because you would end up with a pucher in the middle where it meets
you couldn't match the pattern up either

lllog 02-18-2011 07:33 AM

When choosing a long arm machine the most important feature other than a stitch regulator is the height and length of the neck of the machine.

It doesn't need to be longer than you can comfortably strech your arms. I've know quilters who buy the bigest machines with a 27" neck and never use it to ful advantage because your arms can't control it past a certian length. I recommend some where between a 17" & 20" neck.

As far as height, remember that you need to roll up your quilt as you quilt it, and it dosen't take much before its touching the bottom of the neck. It doesn't matter how long it is if you can't roll your quilt up all the way. I recommend around 11" to 12" height.

A mid-range long arm sounds aout right for you. A lot of the "New" machines on the market today will not handle many of the quilts that you may want to do. And while you say that you only want to do 70" quilts, that may change.

Another thing that is important is the wheels and track system. There shoudn't be any drag at all as you move the machine around.

Good luck, and happy quilting.

Lanny

kathy 02-18-2011 07:34 AM

check on Bailey Quilters, that's what I have, the frame cost more than the machine, a good frame is as important as a good machine

pstoner 02-18-2011 07:38 AM

I belong to the HQ16 yahoo group, and there are several priced to sell including frames for about $3800 and up, I have one and absolutely love mine.

nycquilter 02-18-2011 07:47 AM

I love my HQ 16 with stitch regulator.

tjradj 02-18-2011 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by knlsmith

Originally Posted by wtxpeach
How do you handle the last 4" and do you do full-sized quilts? Is that the reason for wanting to go to a long arm? So many questions!

Just a thought... Why not take off and flip on frame? May take time and practice, but seems to make sense in theory.

Turning a quilt is not as easy as it would seem. If you roll it up onto the take up roller and then turn it, you get a slack in the bottom fabric leading to wrinkles.
If you take the fabric off the roll for the top and the roll for the bottom before you turn it, it makes for one mess when you try to reattach it.

Personally, I use my 11" Janome Horizon on my original Inspira frame. The frame allows about an 8" space, and the 11" machine handles it well.
I would not invest in a 9" machine. You'll find that once you get used to longarming, you're going to want a bigger one. Go for the biggest one you can afford. IMHO

Jannie 02-18-2011 02:46 PM

I got frustrated very quickly using my Viking on longarm. 4" is just not enough room to do much in the way of long arm quilting. I would check into somthing over 11", so when you get to the end of the quilt, you have some room for your quilting.

alissa 02-18-2011 03:19 PM

I have the Jewel by babylock an I love it. It is a mid arm and I think the table is 12'. I searched for a long time before I bought and the jewel fit my needs.. Good Luck...

midwifehc 02-19-2011 07:52 PM

The jewel table is 10ft-120 inches-which is why I traded up to the crown jewel. I wanted the 12 ft table that comes with the majestic frame(I wasn't able to make large enough king size quilts with the 10ft frame)

wtxpeach 02-20-2011 09:45 AM

Thank everyone so much for all the suggestions! I wish that I could shop around because that would definitely be the way to do it.

Unfortunately, I live in a very small town which is not very close to anything. It is a minimum 2 hour drive to go shopping and that is limited. We do have one small quilt shop and she has a long arm in a back room, but won't let anyone near it!

I really cannot afford a long arm, but am getting very itchy for one. I thought the HQ might help. I love hand quilting, but it takes me months to finish a quilt.

Maybe I should move! LOL!!