Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Long Armer (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/long-armer-t201244.html)

appliquequiltdesigns 09-22-2012 03:20 PM

Long Armer

I am considering sending a quilt out to be quilter. I enjoy making the quilt tops more than I do quilting them. I do hand quilting so it takes a long time to finish quilting my quilts. My question is how do I find someone? Is it better to send it to a quilt store that offers that service or to find a private person? Any recommendations would be appreciated.

MamaBear61 09-22-2012 03:22 PM

There are several members here who offer their quilting services.

suern3 09-22-2012 03:26 PM

Do you belong to a quilt guild or a have any kind of quilting group? If so, that would be where I'd start asking for opinions. Otherwise, you will have to do alot of research in your area. Asking to see samples or have references, even from a quilt store. Just wanted to add, there are several on this board who do beautiful work.

PaperPrincess 09-22-2012 03:40 PM

Personal recomendations by satisfied customers are the best. If there's quilting group in your area, I'd contact them. Make sure you see quilts that have been done by the long arm-er. Plan to spend some time with them when you bring your quilt in. Don't just drop it off. Talk about what you would like. Get an estimate of both the price and completion date IN WRITING.

tezell0801 09-22-2012 05:04 PM

A super nice board member did one for me, she did an awesome job. hope she does not mind giving her board name. she might be interested. Beautiful work, very quick turnaround. Give Pungogal a message, she is awesome!

omaluvs2quilt 09-22-2012 05:53 PM

Word of mouth is absolutely the best! My quilt store recommended someone and I haven't looked back. I only use her for those extra special quilts because it is a bit pricey. I've also seen some wonderful ones here : )

quiltingweb 09-22-2012 06:47 PM

I have a new client, I think she tested me out with a few QOV (Quilt of Valor) before she decided I was good enough for her own quilts. :) Before I had my machine, I belonged to a quilt guild. The members of the group highly recommended one of the other members and she really did a wonderful job...my inspiration!

NanaCsews2 09-22-2012 07:01 PM

If you don't come across one through your LQS or someone you know who could personally vouch for one and show you their work and listen to you, then you have every reference here on the board. I personally have not seen one QB LAQ member on here doing consignment work that does a shoddy job of anything they have shown. Those pictures and the attached descriptions speak volumes. But not only that, go through their posting responses to threads regarding quilting to get a good feel on where their priorities lie. Then use the private message option. There you can hook up in a personal way that suits you both. Anyway, if I were in the market for a LAQ, this is how I would do it.

sandy l 09-23-2012 03:16 AM

I only have a 10' frame, so can't do full size king quilts. I do want to make one tho, and I would not hesitate to contact a LAQ on this board for the quilting.