Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Long quilt label?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/long-quilt-label-t176891.html)

MoMoSews 01-25-2012 08:29 AM

Long quilt label??

I need to make a quilt label for a wedding quilt pieced by me, but the professionally quilted paid for by my other brothers and sisters. Should I put "from your aunts and uncles" or put all seven names on it? That would make it very lengthy. Your thoughts please!!

Lori S 01-25-2012 08:56 AM

It would be nice to include all the names of the persons who participated in making the quilt happen. I understand your concern about the lenght of the label. You may want to have more than one label.
Consider using a smaller font, but to shorten Use From Aunt, Sue, Mary ..... and Uncle Bob, Joe , Pete. ..

ghostrider 01-25-2012 09:09 AM

If the gift is from all of you, I would include all seven names. However, I'd make two labels. The first, I would word something like this: To bride and groom, in celebration of your wedding, date of wedding, with love and happiness from your aunts and uncles, then list all seven siblings. Then I would have a separate label that had the standard stuff: Quilt Title, machine pieced by your name, machine quilted by business name, date finished. So, one label is like the card you give with any gift (except it won't get separated from the gift), and the second is the actual quilt data. Together they give the provenance.

ETA: If you think the second one 'snubs' your siblings, or if you think they might feel that way, it's probably better to skip (or reword) it.

valleyquiltermo 01-25-2012 09:13 AM

I agree with ghostrider.

amandasgramma 01-25-2012 09:19 AM

A friend of mine writes (or you could type) out her "label" -- and prints it onto the Precious Moments. She then cuts a square of fabric, folds it over to make a triangle. Then she sews in a button hold in the middle near the fold. She sews this into the corner of the quilt on the back before the binding is put on. A button is sewn onto the quilt back. She can slip almost any size label into this corner "pocket" ----- no worries about a label that's too long.

pacquilter 01-25-2012 10:03 AM

I like amandasgramma's idea. Maybe you could make a "pocket" label with the usual information on it, and put a pretty card or label inside which gives credit to all those who paid for the quilting.

BluegrassGurl 01-25-2012 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by ghostrider (Post 4909354)
If the gift is from all of you, I would include all seven names. However, I'd make two labels. The first, I would word something like this: To bride and groom, in celebration of your wedding, date of wedding, with love and happiness from your aunts and uncles, then list all seven siblings. Then I would have a separate label that had the standard stuff: Quilt Title, machine pieced by your name, machine quilted by business name, date finished. So, one label is like the card you give with any gift (except it won't get separated from the gift), and the second is the actual quilt data. Together they give the provenance.

ETA: If you think the second one 'snubs' your siblings, or if you think they might feel that way, it's probably better to skip (or reword) it.

This is the route I would go.

QuiltnNan 01-25-2012 10:44 AM

i like ghostrider's suggestion. i also like amandagrammy's idea, but would be afraid that the contents of the little envelope might get separated at some point.

dunster 01-25-2012 04:31 PM

I've seen quilt labels that were quite large, sometimes placed near the middle of the back of the quilt, also quilts with several labels. You needn't worry about putting too much information in the label, especially since it marks a special occasion.

MoMoSews 01-25-2012 04:45 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions! I think I will go with two labels.:thumbup: